46 Dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to take a before picture. Here it is with a clamp holding it together. You can get an idea of how much extra is on it.

WP_000108.jpg

Here it is all trimmed down. It may need a little tweaking. I will make a bracket to attach it to the steering brace. Got to make it solid.

WP_000109.jpg

Hopefully on Labor Day I can get the holes in the firewall and get it all bolted in.

I found this metal template from an S10 that was trashed out a few years back. (tip save stupid stuff) It was attached with a screw from the old voltage regulator and a deep vice grip c clamp. Then just drill and file it out.

WP_000111.jpg

Here is the booster/master cylinder fit in place. Need to alter the pedals inside, they are a little too close to the driver for comfort.

WP_000113.jpg

Going to put a newer 5 Speed in my 46 Dodge rustic rod. I want it to look old school, going with a shifter from a '49 Chevy and an old e-brake handle (model a I think).

So here is how I put this

WP_000115-1.jpg

On this

WP_000116-1.jpg

After a ton of measuring and drawing on the white board this is the lower bracket cut from 3/16" stock.

WP_000117-1.jpg

This is the bracket the handle will bolt to (also 3/16"). I got to use my homemade press-brake on this one. The cutout at the top is for clearance on the handles pivot bolt.

WP_000118-1.jpg

The lower is installed on top of the ear on the side of the trans. With the back coming up under the trans mount. Remove the bolt put the bracket up and put the bolt back in.

WP_000119.jpg

I decided to bolt the two brackets together.

WP_000120.jpg

WP_000121.jpg

I needed to space the shifter assembly away from the bracket. Spacers were cut from 1/4" plate with a 1 1/8" hole saw then drilled to 3/8". Two spacers are in use on each bolt, the one touching the bracket will be welded, the other will be free.

WP_000122.jpg

It has the look I was going for.

WP_000123.jpg

OK, Not happy with the S10 thing. Front end fit is crap with the fenders. Tried to sell it with no luck, kinda happy about it to tell the truth. I'm really not a low rider kinda guy and I like trucks to be, well, trucks. All my Willys stuff was sold earlier this summer which left the '85 Ranger chassis sitting. I have owned this truck for a long time and always enjoyed it. So, while staring at it and thinking you're going to the scrapyard, the tape measure came out. The Dodge will fit on the Ranger chassis and the motor will need to slide back 5-6 inches. I think this is where the Fricked Over Rebuilt Dodge jokes start.

Here the Ranger is ready for the body to come off.
WP_000292_zps2344c1a3.jpg

WP_000291_zpsca816490.jpg

My brother comes over tomorrow with the trailer to take the body to the scrapyard. [cl

Check the interiors section for how I dressed up the pedals.

The body is off! Then we spent the rest off the day trimming branches, cutting down trees and clean up.

WP_000299_zpse7ebcf19.jpg

WP_000298_zpsd4b1380b.jpg

Cleaned and reorganized the shop over the last 2 weekends So now the Ranger chassis is inside. [cl
WP_000312_zps8c22bffb.jpg

It has a tire that likes to go flat so I leveled it up with jack stands.

I had made the body mounts last month and also put together this jig. Sure makes locating them easy.
WP_000313_zps58d92642.jpg

WP_000314_zps31466a75.jpg

Next I'll clean up the frame where they go and weld. Maybe I can get lucky and have the body bolted down next weekend.

Last edited:
Finished welding the the body mounts on the Ranger. Then brought the cab in to be separated from the S10 chassis.
WP_000315_zpsb22ab554.jpg

Using my cherry picker as a cab lift made being a one man show easier. Time to drop it on the Ranger.
WP_000316_zps8a136bb8.jpg

Got it bolted down.
WP_000317_zpsa8541448.jpg

Now I'm ready to bring in the front clip and start fitting it. Looks like motor will go back 4 inches.
WP_000318_zps3879a4f8.jpg

are you going to keep the TTB? and 4x4? i know that ttb system pretty well. and they can perform if understood, but alot of ppl don't like the look of the hefty i beams

love the project! keep it up

are you going to keep the TTB? and 4x4? i know that ttb system pretty well. and they can perform if understood, but alot of ppl don't like the look of the hefty i beams

love the project! keep it up

Thanks! Yes, I plan to keep all of it. Never had a complaint on it when it was my daily.

Got the nose mounted and hung the fenders loose.

WP_000320_zpseca70a45.jpg

WP_000321_zpsdba15798.jpg

I need to get fender washers and remake or find a different fender brace.

Latest posts

Back