My first rat build...'41 Chevy truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBailey

Well I've been searching for quite some time now and finally bought something. I got this truck for $425 delivered to my house from where its been sitting for who knows how long, which is about 50 miles from my house.

I don't have any exact plans yet but, I'm thinking bobber truck. The truck is complete except the generator. Let me know what you guys think, I'll have more info once the truck is in my garage.

Untitled by ratrodfanbobcat, on Flickr

Nice truck.
216 stovebolt 6. Babbited rods and mains. Cut my car teeth on one of these motors many moons ago.
What are your plans for a drive train?
Keep us posted.
Torchie.

Well, for drivetrain, I'm a ford guy so it will be powered by ford lol. I would like to find a 292 or 312 Y-block, I think it would mess with peoples heads being the center head ports are close together like a SBC.

I have a 9 inch for the rear and plan on a suicide or hairpin front end.

Congrats!

If that front end is half as good as it looks, I vote to keep it.

Dropped and roughly chopped...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1941_chevy_pickup.jpg
    1941_chevy_pickup.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 366
Thanks for the comments so far guys. I'll have more of a game plan when I get the truck to my house and see it in person, yes I bought it going off the pics my co-worker sent me lol. If it would run I'd be half tempted to just upgrade brakes and put some good tires and wheels on it, do some interior work and drive it the way it is.

i think i would go full fendered if it were mine.. but its urs so do what u want! good luck

Ok , so far the plan is to keep it full bodied and I'm on the lookout for a passenger side rear fender, chop is not in the plans for quite some time. I got a PM from another member here about a 292 Y block, so the 28th I'm heading to Nebraska to pick it up along with a 3 speed tranny and a set of rear fenders for my dads '55 Ford 3/4 ton.

I'm hoping the old stovebolt isn't locked up so I can sell it with the trans and rear axle for some extra funds. As for the chop, I'm doubting it'll will happen, I'm 6'3" and will need all the space I can get.

I'm 6'2" and I wouldn't think of chopping mine. Now that I've been driving it I've learned how small these cabs really are. It's comfortable for me, but if I chopped it I would also need to chop my neck to be able to see out. :p

yes sir fix up that back fender, get some good rubber under it drop it down and run it as is!!! Not even sure if I would chop it!

Are you the same Neverdone that's on RCC?

I was hoping the truck would show up yesterday, but no such luck. I did go over to my old neighbor's house, he has a '46 GMC, and sat in it and checked it out for awhile. His truck has the original seat that was recovered and double foam installed, my head was about 2 inches from the roof. I did have enough leg room though, so I'm thinking some thinner seats to get me down lower and back further and I should have a nice comfy ride lol.

I'm really hoping the truck shows up this weekend, I'm really itching to work on it and I go get the new heart for this beast Saturday.

Well, my wife and I took a little road trip and picked up the motor and trans Saturday. Its a '62 292 with a 3 speed out of a truck. This first pic is one they sent me...

Then yesterday I got the trans off and put the motor up on the stand. I also pulled the pan and took a peek inside.

It needs new flywheel/ pressure plate but luckily my dad still has a couple 223 straight sixes left from his '55 ford truck and they're the same. I will also need to pick up a gasket set, timing chain, and dampner. I don't think it was a bad deal for $150 though.

The truck is supposed to be delivered this Sunday. Hopefully I'll have another update this weekend. Thanks for checking in.

Nice. I like the Y-blocks. My High School ride was a 56 Merc 2dr hdtp with a 312 in it.
Seat height can be an issue regardless of chopping or not. That's why so many use the 3rd seat from a mini van. Very thin bottom cushions.
When setting up my chopped and Chanelled F-1 I looked at a few different seats.
The thing that throws most people is the fact that these cars and trucks in no way, shape , or form even come close to the ergonomics of current cars and trucks. I keep that in mind during my builds. But I also like that fact. Which is why I usually keep the big,old steering wheel.:)
Torchie.

Well the truck got delivered today while I was at my parents house for dinner. I'm pretty sure its a 46, since it has the door lock on the passenger side door. I'll post some pics tomorrow before I start tearing into it. Gotta love having a Monday off, and with a good forecast too lol.

Hi JB. Good to hear that you have the truck at home now where it's safe. Also, I like the idea of putting a Y-block in there, as I am a big fan of Y-blocks. That era,['41 to '47] has a very nice style of truck.

Well the truck got delivered today while I was at my parents house for dinner. I'm pretty sure its a 46, since it has the door lock on the passenger side door. I'll post some pics tomorrow before I start tearing into it. Gotta love having a Monday off, and with a good forecast too lol.

Post a pic of the serial number plate and I can ID the year for you.

Post a pic of the serial number plate and I can ID the year for you.

I'll get that in the next few days, there's wood over the hole where the heater is and covers the vin tag. I spent about 3 hours working on it today and my back feels like I got a lot done, but its doesn't look like I did much lol.

Before I got started today

Hard to see in this pic but, to get the torque tube out of the tranny I wrapped a big ratchet strap around the pumpkin and the hooked the other end to the rear bumper. It popped right out even with both rear brakes locked up.

One man bed removal

The original axle out with springs and all as well as what was left of the bed floor.

9 inch with mono leafs slid under and about where I want the rear ride height.

And for fun some model a fenders I bought for $10. I don't think they look bad and may just stay lol.

Latest posts

Back