My first rat build...'41 Chevy truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The grille looks to be a 33 - 35 Chevy, the car and truck ones are similar, truck one maybe even later year. To make those earlier fenders look right, the axle needs to be pushed ahead or they'll look like they are crowding the cab, just my opinion.....

Agree with ZZ. If you are going to use the original frame it may be easier to get the fenders set over the wheels and work backwards. Moving the cab back may be a possibilty.Then using a shortened box....
To me the mock up is always fun. Gives you a chance to see the many possibilities.
Keep at it.
Torchie.

A couple more pics with the other fender mocked up, I know its to far forward but didn't feel like cutting on it just for mock up lol.

Untitled by ratrodfanbobcat, on Flickr

I'm not sure what the grill is from , I got it while scraping about 8 years ago and couldn't throw it away. I also bought a radiator the other day for $20 that fits the grill shell perfectly.

Let me know what you guys think good or bad.

Those early fenders look too small and too 'flat' for the rounded cab, to me anyways. Maybe Try finding some fenders off of a larger truck for the front, they may be look better as they're bigger? Just a thought.

Agree with ZZ. If you are going to use the original frame it may be easier to get the fenders set over the wheels and work backwards. Moving the cab back may be a possibilty.Then using a shortened box....
To me the mock up is always fun. Gives you a chance to see the many possibilities.
Keep at it.
Torchie.

I was thinking the same thing, get the cab loose and moved back about 5-6 inches and look at it again.
Those early fenders look too small and too 'flat' for the rounded cab, to me anyways. Maybe Try finding some fenders off of a larger truck for the front, they may be look better as they're bigger? Just a thought.

I had thought about that as well. This truck is on a 5 year plan, so I'm in no big hurry lol. I'll be happy to have a rolling chassis by spring the rest will get figured out eventually.

Hmmm

I made a hole today....

Stovebolt and 3 speed out and on the floor. So after getting that out I grabbed a tape measure, well I have a slight problem. The Y block is about 27 inches wide to the outer edge of the ram horns, my frame where the exhaust should be is 27.5 inches wide to the outside of the frame rails. So I don't know if I should sell the ram horns then buy some lakes style headers or figure something else out.

Here's my stylin air cleaner I bought for $25

I also got a package from my buddy in Tennessee today which has the Ford twolite headlamps with sealed beam conversion as well as some other goodies in it. For now I'm going to ponder on what to do about my exhaust situation lol. Thanks for checking in.

Well after contemplating all night last night and all day today I had to do a mockup of the motor to see what lies ahead.

I think I can make the ram horns work but might have to notch the tops of the frame rails then box em in, also will need a remote oil filter and a hydraulic clutch to clear the steering box. I also noticed I'm going to have to replace my front leaf springs, even with no weight on them they're bottomed out lol. I'm sorry for the low quality pics, there isn't very good lighting in my garage.

Haven't gotten a lot done lately....

I got the old Chevy pushed back in the garage yesterday afternoon, then proceeded to start taking the cab off. Today I got the cab off and out of the garage. Now time to get the unneeded stuff off the frame and get it cleaned up then figure out what I'm going to do for suspension to get this thing at the ride height I want. Here's a couple pics from my hard work today, removing a cab by yourself is a real PITA lol. Don't mind the incredibly messy garage.

Soooo, I haven't done much of anything on the rod. Its been just to dang cold until recently. Here's where I'm at now...

You think this is to short of a wheelbase?

That's my solution to moving the cab around by myself lol. Basically I just collected some parts over winter and here's some pics of those parts...

New air cleaner and coil cover.

And my front suspension parts, all but the new leaf spring are from Ron Pope Motorsports. Great parts for a great price!

I decided I'm gonna do a suicide front suspension and build a "bobber" style truck. Thanks for looking and I hope to get some real progress soon.

Congratulations!!!

X's 2 ^^^^^

Thanks fellas!

I'm extremely slow lol. Its been four months since I last posted and all I've done is take one cross member off the frame. The old rivets and I don't get along very well it seems. I did manage to pick up a sweet intake on trade for the old Y block though.
IMG_20140827_201125 by ratrodfanbobcat, on Flickr

Its an old Edelbrock FM255, meant for the 54-55 small port Y's but I'll use it anyhow. I also had a new neighbor move in that builds choppers/rat bikes for a living and has agreed to do my frame welding for me, since all I have is a cheapo 110v flux core welder. Thanks for looking, even though it isn't much!

Latest posts

Back