'47 Dodge shop truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice find Pops! With the no headlight idea, you could do something behind the grill. I've seen that done before but I'm not a fan. My brother has a '39 Dodge, the headlights are inward like Bob's, lI don't have a pic of his truck but here's an example:

0fb6d1251f.jpg

This inboard location is stock on my Plymouth and on Dodges from some years. Sightly better. Nice score on the truck. Pretty sure mine is heading to Winnipeg shortly. Darn.

Bob,
What year is your Plymouth? ? I'd like to find a set of fenders like that so I didn't have to match the ridge going down the center to eliminate the lights.
For some reason I think there is some law regarding the minimum height for head lights in Nuevo Mexico. I might need to do my title work before I get to carried away with moving the lights.

Did you do a build thread on your old Dodge. I'd like to see more pics.

Nice find Pops! With the no headlight idea, you could do something behind the grill. I've seen that done before but I'm not a fan. My brother has a '39 Dodge, the headlights are inward like Bob's, lI don't have a pic of his truck but here's an example:

0fb6d1251f.jpg

Dodge blew it when they moved the lights out I think.

Dodge blew it when they moved the lights out I think.

I think they moved them out to keep the headlights from getting whacked by the butterfly style hood.

It probably is also safer by helping other drivers judge where the edge of the truck is at night (probably helpful on 40's backroads)

I think they moved them out to keep the headlights from getting whacked by the butterfly style hood.

It probably is also safer by helping other drivers judge where the edge of the truck is at night (probably helpful on 40's backroads)

That actually makes sense to me. Still looks frog eyed tho.

Another trip, this one to the north end of the Texas Panhandle.
Drug this donor home. The bed is going on my son's ranch truck and I told him I'd do the swap for the rest of the old Dodge. It's only got 95K on the speed-o. 360 Magnum, fuel injected, air. It starts and runs good, so that's the new direction.

The whole Chevy in a Dodge thing just doesn't sit well with me.

Anybody need a 350 Chevy 4 bolt main and a 350 transmission? It runs and moves.

How about 1999 Dodge front and rear axles? Transfer case?

Attachments

• IMG_1354.jpg
    IMG_1354.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1360.jpg
    IMG_1360.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1359.jpg
    IMG_1359.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 94
OK, I'm in. I like the truck. I like watching you silly Mopar kids too! [cl[P

I thought I'd check the rear end for gear ratio, found a dry rusty mess.
More money!
Dropped the starter and found the wrong mounting bolts were in it. got that fixed and started the engine and found one cylinder low on compression and missing and low oil pressure. Dropped the pan and decided I'm just going the 5.9 magnum Dodge direction and not spent any money on an engine I don't like anyway. It is a 4 bolt tho. Maybe I can get a few bucks for it. We'll see.

So in the coming weeks I guess I'll strip this thing to the frame and start over.
So much for just driving it for a while.

Pics

I know, without pictures it's just hear say.

Attachments

• IMG_1387.jpg
    IMG_1387.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1385.jpg
    IMG_1385.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 110
I thought I'd check the rear end for gear ratio, found a dry rusty mess.
More money!
Dropped the starter and found the wrong mounting bolts were in it. got that fixed and started the engine and found one cylinder low on compression and missing and low oil pressure. Dropped the pan and decided I'm just going the 5.9 magnum Dodge direction and not spent any money on an engine I don't like anyway. It is a 4 bolt tho. Maybe I can get a few bucks for it. We'll see.

So in the coming weeks I guess I'll strip this thing to the frame and start over.
So much for just driving it for a while.

I thought you said that this one was a 5.9 magnum. [S

That rear has been dry a while, reckon they drove it that way?[S

It doesn't look like they drove it that way, no lubrication would tear the gears up pretty quick at road speeds I think.

attachment.php

Pops, I was scratching my head at the 2.56 ratio, but it turns out it was a Camaro gear ratio. Too bad about its condition, 2.56 would have given some awesomely low highway RPM's. Maybe you plan on changing the diff too though?

Pops, I was scratching my head at the 2.56 ratio, but it turns out it was a Camaro gear ratio. Too bad about its condition, 2.56 would have given some awesomely low highway RPM's. Maybe you plan on changing the diff too though?

Way back when, I tried to get better gas mileage out of a hot road camaro. I swapped to a 2.56 geared rear end. It would run a 14.70 sec/98 mph quarter and still be in second gear. Top end was stupid fast. Sometimes I wonder why I'm still around....

Don't let it get you down, Pops. A rear end isn't that much money. If you have a couple hundred more in the truck when it's done it isn't a big deal.

Latest posts

Back