Early Hemi Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you think most of us don't play with Hemis? I hear they can clean out bank accounts and cause their owners to spend lonely nights on the couch. :p:D

What is the fix for the timing chain thing? Shorter chain? I had this happen on a 302 Ford I built one time, had to try 3 brands before one was tight enough, and all the others were name brands.

Don

Looks like your are moving along nicely. There always seems to be bumps in the road when building an engine. I'd like to know how the shop tightens the gear on the crank snout. I have a nice 327 crank with the same problem. So you don't feel too bad about all the $$$, I just had machine work done on a lowly 400 sbc block and it cost $1,500.
Really enjoying following along on your Hemi build.

Why do you think most of us don't play with Hemis? I hear they can clean out bank accounts and cause their owners to spend lonely nights on the couch. :p:D

What is the fix for the timing chain thing? Shorter chain? I had this happen on a 302 Ford I built one time, had to try 3 brands before one was tight enough, and all the others were name brands.

Don

Don, I've logged more time sleeping on a couch or the back seat of a car than I care to talk about :p

As for the timing gear, the gear itself is loose on the crankshaft snout, a shorter chain won't fix the problem. It's not much, but you can drop the gear right into place without having to tap it on and there is a small amount of play in it. I think they will probably have to build it up with weld and turn it down to spec. I have no idea how or why this could have happened. The crank appears to be unaltered but it does look worn in that area.

I got my block and rotating assembly from the machine shop. Everything is balanced now.

Here's the block. I had already squuirted some Chrysler silver engine paint on it in these photos. The machine shop sloppily primed it with a really loud yellow primer and I did not take any photos of it that way.

After scrubbing, cleaning, and blowing everything clean, I installed the oil bypass valve, the rear main locating dowell, and the main studs first.

After micing everything, I installed the main bearings in the caps and block along with the upper and lower rear main seal. I installed the crankshaft and torqued down the caps. Early Hemi's have nice forged cranks.

I'm leaving on a vacation for two weeks so I don't think I'll be able to install the pistons and rods until I return. I don't have the propper bearings. The "H" beam connecting rods that I'm using utilize a 440 bearing and the machine shop ordered hemi bearings. I'll probably have to straighten it out when I get back.

Here's a preview..........

are these the slots where the money goes ? :D , did they end up welding the crank snout ?

Attachments

• hemi060smallvu5.jpg
    hemi060smallvu5.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 54
are these the slots where the money goes ? :D

Yes and once it gets in there, it's gone for good :D

They didn't weld the crank, they put a new key/keyway in. It doesn't move now, but I'm a little queezy over it. They swear that the new key and the 135 pounds of torque that the damper bolt gets will keep everything in place.

I think they are right Bill, I've had some engines go together with the sprocket somewhat loose on the crank snout, and there was never any problem. The harmonic balancer torque seems to hold them in place just fine.

What a great looking engine, inside and out. Have you figured out clearances in the '32 yet for stuff like steering and all? I know lots of Deuces are running them, but sometimes it's tough once a car was put together for another engine.

It will be worth the work though, this engine will put your Deuce over the top (as if it wasn't ALREADY!! :D:D)

Don

Thanks Don, my rough estimates tell me I'll be fine on the length front and rear. My radiator hoses on the hemi are in the same approximate location so that shouldn't be a problem either. I'm moving the starter from the driver's side to the pass side with an adapter so I shouldn't have to move much wiring around.

I will have to fab new engine mounts and relocate the steering though. I don't think it'll be too bad. There's a host of other small things like exhaust that will need attention but nothing major that I see now.

I would check the crank gear with a dial indicator now that you have the crank in the block , just to make sure the gear doesn`t have an eccentric path with the new key in it , it would be tightest the when the keyway comes up on the dial indicator and loosest 180 degrees from the keyway .

Man that is going to be one great motor. It will definatly set your car apart. You are really going to enjoy that engine. I had one in a 51 Ford F1, nothing like em.

As ususal great work.

I got some more assembly done on the hemi this weekend. I installed the pistons and rods, thus completing the rotating assembly. My dad put the rings on the pistons while I was doing something else and then I popped them in the holes. All the clearances mic'd out good so there were not any issues. Hopefully, I'll start with the cam and top end next weekend along with the oil pump, pick-up and intermediate shaft.

A few pics............................

If there was one of these faces that depicted "Envy", I use it.:D
Nothing more beautiful than an engine going together with nice, new parts. Being a Hemi is the icing on the cake.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gastrick,
WOW... the last picture says it all for me! Absolutely beautiful!!! Glad u're makin' headway!!!

BoB

Outstanding......

I agree, absolutely beautiful.
I really am enjoying watching this engine come together.
Yeah, Bob W, we really do need an "envy" button, cause I am feeling it also...
Nice work Gastrick. '22

Drool,,drool,,slobber,,slobber,,,,,,,oooops!!! :eek::eek:

Coming along nicely, Gastrick.

We really do need an Envy button !

Latest posts

Back