Fiat, Second Time Around

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem solved. The big ones won't fit. I'd have to enlarge the wheel opening and there's frame tubes in the way.

A friend has some bigger M/T Street radials that I might get.

I stabbed the little Crane cam in and should be button it up tomorrow Gotta drill steam holes in the heads I'm putting on.

Gotta drill steam holes in the heads I'm putting on.

I've built a few 400 sbc in my day and I never bothered with the steam holes. If you are running an aftermarket water pump that circulates the coolant a bit faster than stock you won't have any over heating issues. That and the correct sized radiator and fan setup. The steam holes were just there because the factory was trying to run cleaner emissions back then by running the engine temp at 210-215f all the time. Once you get up that hot you will get hot spots that will pocket steam. The quick fix was to drill the holes.

That makes sense, jfg. Unfortunately about the time you were typing, I was drilling. It's done and the heads are on the engine. Should button her up tomorrow and see how it runs.

bob w, I just have to say......you have way to much spare time on
your hands.....you need some other projects.....you're making most of us
look like slackers;););)
just kiddin' I appreciate what you are able to accomplish .....

Finally, the Fiat runs good. Haven't gone any distance with it but it idles in a mannerly fashion now. Still has pretty good performance as 30 feet of rubber in the driveway attests.

forbigicture, I took your advice and filled some of my spare time making this free standing shelf to store engines on. Had some pallet racking beams laying around so I sliced and diced and welded this shelf. Had a metal work bench top that I resized to fit. I can fit the nose of the Fiat under it so I gained the floor space the engines were using.

Oh The Irony.

When I was welding the engine shelf seen in the previous post I started a fire.[;) The plastic drawers in the nut and bolt cabinets on my nearby work bench caught fire. Don't know how sparks from a wire feed welder could do that, but it did. As the flames crept higher a fire extinguisher laying on top of the cabinet was surrounded. The plastic nozzle caught fire. Before I could put it out. Whoosh! it let go, spraying white powder all over. It looked like a cocaine factory explosion.

Had to laugh, I'm the only guy that can have a fire extinguisher fire.[S

When I was welding the engine shelf seen in the previous post I started a fire.[;) The plastic drawers in the nut and bolt cabinets on my nearby work bench caught fire. Don't know how sparks from a wire feed welder could do that, but it did. As the flames crept higher a fire extinguisher laying on top of the cabinet was surrounded. The plastic nozzle caught fire. Before I could put it out. Whoosh! it let go, spraying white powder all over. It looked like a cocaine factory explosion.

Had to laugh, I'm the only guy that can have a fire extinguisher fire.[S

Hey if it was easy ,anybody could do it !

A week ago I gave a big guy a ride in the Fiat and pulling out of a driveway onto the highway the rear tire hit the wheel opening. I spent the last couple days cutting up an old sway bar and making it fit the Fiat. Hopefully it will do the trick.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back