New Shop Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falconvan

My old shop truck is out of commission so here's the replacement plan. I found this 86 Astro with a super clean, straight, rust free body and a dead 4.3. This is going to be quick and dirty; swap in a TBI 350, clean it up and drive it.

Attachments

• IMG_0940.JPG
    IMG_0940.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0941.JPG
    IMG_0941.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 65
pssst! 5.3L for the quick and dirty win! 100 hp more, lighter, and smaller dimensionally...[P

It should be a fun buggy Pat... it looks like a stripped model so it should be light weight

A friend gave me a 307 short block with a new set of rings and bearings and the block machine work done. His kid was rebuilding it from a 68 Chevy truck he had and lost interest long ago. Not exactly what I planned on but for the price, I'll take it and use it. I'm just going to put on a set of home ported TBI heads and intake along with a cam upgrade and call it done. That's about as cheap as it comes.

I pulled the crappy carpet and seats and everything looks solid underneath. A trip to the boneyard should get me some better seats and hopefully I can find an Astro with a decent front rubber floor mat rather than carpet. The short block had some cylinder rust but it came out with a hone. The guy had the engine painted a hideous turquoise color; thankfully it came off easy. I'm going to try and knock this out quick as I don't have a hauling vehicle until it's on the road. Motor is coming out tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0946.JPG
    IMG_0946.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0948.JPG
    IMG_0948.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 47
I would stay pretty stock on the cam, that ecm won't like anything too spicy. Good choice and apparently a popular swap as I ran across headers for V8 asrto somewhere recently. TBI chevy is one of the best setups ever. They took a basic carbed 350 that struggled to get 2 digit mileage and took them to 20. Plus those engines started lasting twice as long with the tbi than they ever did with a carb too.

I would stay pretty stock on the cam, that ecm won't like anything too spicy. Good choice and apparently a popular swap as I ran across headers for V8 asrto somewhere recently. TBI chevy is one of the best setups ever. They took a basic carbed 350 that struggled to get 2 digit mileage and took them to 20. Plus those engines started lasting twice as long with the tbi than they ever did with a carb too.

Yeah, your exactly right on the cam. The TBI ecms are really sensitive to too much duration. The last one I built I used a cam with about 220@50 and that was just about right. TBI is a great option for an inexpensive, reliable fuel injection .

Plus you have a van named after George Jetson's dog. RuhRoh!! Lol.
My aging Aerostar is going to need replaced and I don't know what to get. I wouldn't know how to operate without my picker van and the all wheel drive.

Plus you have a van named after George Jetson's dog. RuhRoh!! Lol.
My aging Aerostar is going to need replaced and I don't know what to get. I wouldn't know how to operate without my picker van and the all wheel drive.

I always liked those Aerostars; I've seen a few with 5.0 swaps that were pretty cool.

Cleaned up and ready for transplant.

Attachments

• IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0949.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 39
Someone likes Aerostars??? :eek: :rolleyes:

Well, they are pretty much at the bottom of the list of cars that will automatically get you a lovely lass. I've had 2 of the all wheel drive and I love them. The 4.0 is one of the best engines Ford made. About all I ever had to do was CVs, front wheel bearings and brakes at around 125,000 on both. Hopefully my 40 panel will replace the van.

Well, they are pretty much at the bottom of the list of cars that will automatically get you a lovely lass. I've had 2 of the all wheel drive and I love them. The 4.0 is one of the best engines Ford made. About all I ever had to do was CVs, front wheel bearings and brakes at around 125,000 on both. Hopefully my 40 panel will replace the van.

I think you're the first guy I've heard that didn't have constant issues with one!

My dad is an automotive mechanic and had several customers with Aerostars, none of whom actually liked them. I remember how much of a bear they were to work on with AWD and the 4.0L V6.

I bought a one owner 85 Aeroslut in 86, less than 12,000 miles on it. Had it three days and the harmonic balancer fell off.:eek: When I had it three months, the transmission came out. :mad: Ford dealer rebuilt it under warranty, two months later, it came out again, :mad:they fixed it again. When it came out the third time about three weeks later,:mad::mad::mad: I told them to come get it.

I know SBCs are probably the most overused and boring engines on the planet but the plus is that all your hot rod buddies probably have leftover parts they are more than happy to give away to get them out of their garage. I got the 307 from one guy and a set of heads from another buddies IROC Camaro 305 engine all for free. I already had a few leftover odds and ends so all I had to buy was a TBI friendly cam along with about $200 in misc parts. Not a huge powerhouse but I think it'll pull this thing around fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0950.JPG
    IMG_0950.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0951.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 39
those 305 heads are nothing to laugh at if you want to make torque I've put them on 350's with a towing style cam with nice results

I know SBCs are probably the most overused and boring engines on the planet but the plus is that all your hot rod buddies probably have leftover parts they are more than happy to give away to get them out of their garage. I got the 307 from one guy and a set of heads from another buddies IROC Camaro 305 engine all for free. I already had a few leftover odds and ends so all I had to buy was a TBI friendly cam along with about $200 in misc parts. Not a huge powerhouse but I think it'll pull this thing around fine.

That ought to do the trick. Cheap too.

Latest posts

Back