BMW V8 powered T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fuel tank arrived, I originally wanted a 5gal moon tank in front of the grill. But, 1) moon tanks are way too expensive and 2) 5gal isn't very practical. So this 16 gallon tank set up for an intank EFI pump will work just fine. I do plan to keep it exposed as is. Kind of an ugly mechanical turtle deck. I have talked myself into a roll bar and have a rough idea of how to make that work with the current set up.

If you're going to do any serious cruising, a 16 gal tank is my choice! [cl

Toad

Smaller reservoir masters came in, I like that lines point towards the body, gets them away from the heat source. Clearanced the body to go over the assembly, put the motor on it's mounts to get an idea of final drivetrain height and exhaust clearance to the masters. Ultimately I'm going to aim for a parallel valve cover to frame and rid of the drivetrain lean back, which will increase exhaust clearance to the masters a bit more. Once that's done I could probably slide the pedal assembly forward some more and increase leg room, as is it's not terrible. But any extended drives I'm sure cramping and dead leg would ensue. Keep in mind I still need to bend those pedals and tighten things up for everything to play happy.

6'1" & size 13 shoes

Looking really good but looks like it's going to be a tight fit for the steering column which is nothing new! :eek:[ddd

Toad

Like Toad said. T buckets are always tight on foot room.
That's why some go to a cowl steering setup or a upright thru the floor steering column.
The upright column was popular before you could geta T bucket kit.
Looking good.[P [P [P
Torchie

Attachments

• steer2.jpg
    steer2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 19
My plan is cowl steering. Even though I understand it's a geometry 'No-no' with the split wishbone radius arms.

At the end of this month I'm losing the use of this shop space, the project & my tools will be in storage in pieces until I can arrange another work space. I will not let this project get back burnered, it's important to me to reach some goals with the vehicle in the up coming year. I'm also getting a bit scatter brained by starting so many projects on the vehicle, but I felt it was important to mock and lay out the major components before welding and solidifying any of the ideas. I feel I can now start at the rear of the vehicle, pick one piece of the puzzle and finish it/ final it before moving on to the next piece.

Well, losing your shop space is a bummer, but you've made really good progress and have a really good start on a cool car. I'll be waiting for the next phase. :)

If you want to feel like you have big feet build a T Bucket with a manual transmission.

Hate to see the construction stop. You do fine work.

When I started putting this T-bucket together in my head I knew I wanted a shortened '32 grill behind the axle. This morn I mocked up the full length grill in front of the axle and leaned it back. Gotta say I kinda dig that look. It makes the project look cleaner...but also makes the vehicle appear longer, which I'm not wild about.

Whatcha think, grill in front of axle or behind?

I have a feeling once the windshield and roll bar are up adding some height it'll pull in that Lengthy appearance.

The other thing, putting the grill in front & leaned back gives me some room for the water-to-air intercooler in front of the radiator.

My 2 cents

I like the leaning but keep it level or below the coul. May a little cut to shorten it some. [S
Asome work looking cool [cl

I'm digging the leaned back look and Soltz is right about keeping it near the same level as the cowl IMO! [cl

Toad

I like the laid back look as well - so long as it the top isn't leaning down in toward the motor, that might look a little odd.

Bummer about the space. I hope all works out for you.
I like the grills upright. Most of the early T builds were real short like Grabowski's "Lighting bug."
Torchie

Attachments

• 610x99999.jpg
    610x99999.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 956136dd8c87f2510abd432f18c3ea8e.jpg
    956136dd8c87f2510abd432f18c3ea8e.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 21
I vote with Torchie on these issues. It is a bummer, losing your work space, and I like the grille standing upright. It will have to be sectioned, though.
This car is coming along fine.

the way I look at it is ,you have three different lines now, looking from the side.

the grill , straight line leaning back
the cowl, straight line straight up
the back side of the tub, curved line leaning back.

I like the grill leaning back ,but I would use a curved grill for that, to somewhat meet the backside of the tub. Using this straight grill my vote would be to section it and use it straight up.

Good luck finding another workspace.... real bummer to lose that :(

Forgive my mad MSPaint skillz... but maybe the leaned back T windshield and rough idea for roll bar helps proportion things?

On a T Bucket I like the radiator shell upright or almost upright ala Torchie.. On a rat rod, where anything goes, a laid back shell fits the style. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back