Bug to Butterfly

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I understand, the trick part of chopping anything with a curved windshield is making sure you remove the material from either the top or bottom (or sink the windshield down into the cowl). If you remove from the middle, even a subtle curve removed from the middle of a curved windshield can make it a bear to fit glass in it ever again.

To me, the VW front on the back will always look like the front of a VW unless you heavily modify it. You've been talking about the RPU idea for a long time, that has my vote.

Just to throw some fuel on the fire. I would consider a V style roadster windshield. You could make your own brackets ( plenty of info on how- to on the web) or you could use a set of wooden boat brackets.
JMHO.:eek: [ddd :cool:
[P [P [P
Torchie
Dang, Torchie. That's a great idea. I hope I can remember it in the future.

Note to self: Wooden boat windshield brackets would look way cool on a roadster.

I think I'll set it over the frame with engine, front end, rear end, etc all mocked up and then be looking at it long and hard before I commit to anything.

That would be my plan. Sit on frame, mock up engine even if only a bare block, mock up rear tires, mock up front tires. Make a bedside out of cardboard. Do the same for a roadster quarter.

Then sit back and look, move stuff, look some more, walk off and come back later, look again. You'll get it, you will know when it looks right to you.

Well, I guess the decision has been made ... going with the original rpu idea. Here is the sheet metal going onto the back of the body. Lots of hammer and dolly work needed but I never claimed to be a body builder! :D Should get the center panel fitted tomorrow.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1477.jpg
    IMG_1477.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1478.jpg
    IMG_1478.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1480.jpg
    IMG_1480.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1486.jpg
    IMG_1486.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 39
Looks great, I think that's the right choice! Once you get it on the frame it will be interesting to see the proportions. Maybe a section is in order? I know, that's easy to say but harder to do. [ddd

Got the center panel into the back. There are a few things I might have done differently if I was to do this again but overall I'm happy with it. Just keep telling myself that at 100 mph no one will notice the defects. :D Once its all finished it might be difficult to determine the origin.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1489.jpg
    IMG_1489.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1493.jpg
    IMG_1493.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 48
Today I removed all the rot that were the heater channels for the VW and added some new, beefier sills that will also support the floor. Used 1" x 3' 1/8 wall which I think will give the body some much needed rigidity.

And then I couldn't help myself .. put the seats in place and did the first of many "vroom vroom" dream sessions. Leg room is adequate but not overly generous for my 6'. Top of the door is at the perfect arm rest height. Top of windshield is about even with the top of my head .. any lower and the top bar would be right in the line of vision. All in all I think it will work.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1494.jpg
    IMG_1494.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1496.jpg
    IMG_1496.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 44
One of the magazines had an article a few years back about making your own custom bench seat. It's what I plan to do on my roadster and could gain you some much needed leg room compared to the thick modern buckets. Just a thought. I'll try to find the article.

Latest posts

Back