Making odd angle brackets.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
This is a pretty simple tip but who knows, it may help somebody. If I need to make a bracket or brace at angle of something other than 45 or 90 degrees, This is how I usually do it. There are more precise ways but this method can be applied easily if extreme accuracy is not essential.

First, use one of these readily available angle finders to determine the angle needed for the bracket, brace, or other structure. Then transfer the angle from the angle finder to your welding table or work bench using a marker or marking devise of your choice.

The result should look something like this.

Then take the material that you are using to build your part and set up the pieces along the lines that you just made on your bench or table. Use magnets or clamps to hold your workpiece in place.

Then tack and finish weld.

Yep, that is one of my favorite ways to handle that job as well. I've always called it a "bevel square", but you know how tool names are. (ie cresent wrench).

Yep, that is one of my favorite ways to handle that job as well. I've always called it a "bevel square", but you know how tool names are. (ie cresent wrench).

You are right Bonehead, that's not really an angle finder but I always call it that because that's what I use it for. :eek: I have one that's marked in degrees, but I mostly use the bevel square because it's thicker which allows it to lay flat against the work piece when determining the angle that I need. I usually only use the actual angle finder when I want to know exactly what the angle is.

Last edited:
We have a tool similar to that that we use to position patient's limbs for xrays. I'm gonna swipe an old one to use for exactly what you used it for.

Great tip.

Hodag

Latest posts

Back