Painting Wheels Idea

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbillysurf

I just painted some steel wheels and used some engine stands to help. After mounting and balancing, I broke down the bead on the face side of wheel down so the lip can be painted, then air them back up, ready to go. I had a couple of extra parts to some engine stands, bolted the together, was a perfect way to turn your wheels to spray them, or tape the tires, ect. Worked out good.

Attachments

• 100_1298.jpg
    100_1298.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 156
I'm getting ready to do the same on some new wheels that come primed like that. I thought you were supposed to paint before mounting the tires?

No? Or do you paint later b/c the tire shop will scratch them up?

I paint after (when I care) because I mount my own tires and the rim usually (always) gets scuffed up in the process.

Thats what I was thinkin'. I have primed steel rims and bia plys coming from Coker that I'll have to paint. At least they come mounted & balanced, pretty cool.

I almost took them up on thier offer to powder coat them at a reasonable price... until they told me it would take 4 weeks for that. :eek:

Latest posts

Back