1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any updates on the coop?

Yes, not to be snarky, but Torchie puts you guys to shame (and me too).

Due to ridiculous restrictions, we haven't worked on the car since December 5. It irritates me to even mention this, but several factors play, effectively tying our hands. :mad:

Here's what I've accomplished in the past 4 months: An old shot of the trunk lid in a seemingly appropriate setting... and a recent self portrait after consuming several Snickers bars.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• slide78.jpg
    slide78.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 76
  • fp 241 trejo.jpeg
    fp 241 trejo.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 76
Due to ridiculous restrictions, we haven't worked on the car since December 5. It irritates me to even mention this, but several factors play, effectively tying our hands. :mad:

Here's what I've accomplished in the past 4 months: An old shot of the trunk lid in a seemingly appropriate setting... and a recent self portrait after consuming several Snickers bars.

attachment.php

attachment.php

What a handsome young guy your are Doc!!!:eek::D[S

When will the madness called Covid ever end?

Sorry to disappoint, fellas. It will be finished, painted and the panels will fit... mark my words!

Where was I? Oh, yeah... the build...

My friend and I have recently come to understand... we're not very smart... so, using a letter from his first name and a letter from my surname, we are B-tard (him) and A-tard (me). Duotards, if you will.

Small delay. Btard planned to expand his existing garage, or build a separate shop before buying a project, but couldn't... quite... squeeze the trigger... then we found the car and he jumped in with both feet.

The following spring, we retrieved the car and it sat in another trailer while the shop was built, which took us into the following winter before anybody turned a wrench on the car.

Freshly rolled into the new shop...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

... not a wrench or toolbox in sight, but trust me, when the tools moved in, the tail lights moved out!

Gents:

After several years of lurking and following this thread, I am becoming vocal (with my fingers anyway). First a small introduction of sorts - my name is Bert, to you folks I am the "B-Tard" that Dr. Crank makes reference to above. I am the owner of the 1937 Chevy coupe which is the subject of this thread. My first rod, but I have always been a car guy - was a drag racer for about 20 years, took about 15 years off from cars, then found this project and became a car guy again, but this one will never go down the track or have a pair of slicks bolted to it, it will strictly be a driver with just enough HP that I can still be a squirrel if I want to.... hahaha.

It's been a slow process, as you can see by the dates on this thread that the build has been going on for a few years now, but I assure you it is being built correctly. Trying to squeeze things in between a day job, a side business, a family, home, and finding spare time for a car project becomes challenging - throw in COVID and a few other health "curves" on the road and here we are....... still working away slowly but surely.

This project was hit with a rather unexpected setback earlier this week. Dr. Crankenstein as you guys knew him (or Kim as I referred to him) passed away suddenly on January 26. He had a couple of stays in the hospital in mid and later 2021 for a total of approximately 5 months with some heart issues. We had a couple of scares in 2021 with those hospitalizations, but it appeared he was on the mend, and was feeling good. We last spoke on Sunday Jan 23 - discussing our next plans on the project 37 roadmap for the coming months, both of us chomping at the bit to return to the shop and get back to fabricating, engineering, building, and laughing.

Kim (Dr. Crankenstein) was a brilliant fabricator, welder, car guy, problem solver, a fantastic family man, and an awesome friend to have - probably the closest thing to a brother I've ever had. He spoke very highly of the membership here, and mentioned a lot of the fantastic knowledge that is shared here. Kim will be dearly missed, but I will pick up the ball and run with it to bring this project through to completion - might take me a couple or three more years, but I will finish it. If you guys don't mind, I will send update posts and pictures to this thread from time to time as things move along with this project.

Oh, and the next time you're tipping one back, kindly take a moment to raise your glass up to the sky, and thank Kim for a job well done while he was down here.

Until next time...........

Regards,

Bert (aka B-Tard)

Darn it, Bert. Now I've got tears in my eyes all over again. I read about Kim from Larry in Winnipeg, another member, a bit ago. Then I went to the funeral home website. Posted there is a heart wrenching obituary for Kim. So, so sad.
I talked to him only once on the phone. That was after surgery. We were so hopeful, and he seemed to be too.
His passing is very difficult for me, and I'm sure many members here, to handle. He was so likable. So it must be doubly difficult for you, being his friend for so many years.

My condolences to his family and friends. Love ya Kim.

Glad to see you here Bert, I finally got to meet Kim a few month back when we found ourselves face to face in the same hospital ward. we talked for almost an hour in the hall.
He will be greatly missed on this site and in our hearts.

Thanks for the update Bert. I'm so sorry to learn of his passing. His knowledge and willingness to share it will certainly be missed around here.

I will really miss him.
Thank you, Bert, B-tard, for stepping forward and keeping us up to date on your project '37.
This project may be good healing for you, --- and for us.
Keep on tinkering.

Latest posts

Back