Gasser & Altered fotos!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NHRA required the crankshaft centerline to be 24" or less. Racers raised the engine in the chassis, or raised the front end of the car to this limit for weight transfer. As better slicks were developed and traction compound for track prep came into general use, gaining traction through weight transfer wasn't so important. Cars got faster wind resistance and handling became a factor so down came the front ends and the engines. Also, wheelbases kept getting longer. When exactly, I can't say. Doc or Larry will know.

Larry, I was at Fargo only the one time. I don't know anything about the facility. Nice people though.
Thank you, Sir.

Let the lessons continue.

I'm guessing that the last engine pics and the Animal altered are of the Aussie "hemi" 6 ? It was the right side clutch fork hole in the bellhousing that tipped me off...[S

Yes, they are. :)

Ask an expert, if you want to know. Right? So, Good Doctor, When did the altereds go form nose up to nose down? While standing still, that is. :D Mine is definitely of the nose down variety.

Bob has it nailed down.

Slicks were just recapped tires until the mid '60s. I believe M&H was first to make a slick specifically for drag racing and the big tire companies took notice, effectively launching a technology war. Garlits' first successful rear engine dragster appeared in 1971 and it would be my opinion, tire design played a large part in his success and began a new era of race car engineering in all categories.

What? No pictures?

The car below was built in 1973 by friends of ours... nice shorts, dude!

attachment.php

1996, I think. Same car, same location, my buddy Charlie at the wheel. [ddd

attachment.php

Attachments

• scan0014.jpg
    scan0014.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 92
  • qcr from.jpg
    qcr from.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 94
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• gas 713.jpg
    gas 713.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 73
  • gas 714.jpg
    gas 714.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 72
  • gas 715.jpg
    gas 715.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 69
  • gas 716.jpg
    gas 716.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 73
  • gas 717.jpg
    gas 717.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 70
  • gas 719.jpg
    gas 719.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 71
  • gas 720.jpg
    gas 720.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 72
  • gas 721.jpg
    gas 721.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 71
  • gas 722.jpg
    gas 722.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 70
  • gas 723.jpg
    gas 723.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 69
I've visited with the fella with the Renault Dauphine. Nice southern gentleman. It has a 6 in it. Chevy, I believe. My next project is to tear out the MII front suspension in my Renault and put a straight axle under it. Gasser style, but not nosebleed.

Latest posts

Back