Your favorite street racing stories!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't a race story but around midnight we finished installing a new 301 small block in Al Tschida's nationals winning C/Gas '40 Willys coupe. T-10 4 speed, Hilborn injection 5.83 rear end.. Al said we better take it for a ride, you know, break it in. We headed out the door, just headers, roller cam, a high winder and made our way to a road with few houses. We did several 0 to whatever, 8,500 rpm blasts With Al pulling gears like a mad man. The aluminum interior acted like an amplifier for the headers. The road was curvy, the Willys was built for straight line action which made it that much more exciting. I couldn't hear anything but the mighty mouse under the hood. Couldn't focus on anything because we were bouncing and sliding around the curves in the dark, guided by moonlight. It was the most fun I ever had with my clothes on.

We turned around and did the same thing for the 5 mile trip back. Pulled into the garage and grabbed a couple long necks and listened to the headers tick as they cooled down. I've relived that experience a thousand times in the 60 years that have passed. Ain't nothing better.

RIP Al.

I find it funny that we can remember this kind a shenanigan's as plain as day and we can't even remember what we were going to do when we got up out of the chair we were just sitting in.

Or am I just speaking for myself and all the rest of you don't share my problems as I'm crowding 70 yrs old?

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!

I find it funny that we can remember this kind a shenanigan's as plain as day and we can't even remember what we were going to do when we got up out of the chair we were just sitting in.

Or am I just speaking for myself and all the rest of you don't share my problems as I'm crowding 70 yrs old?

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!

Well, Pops, I'm crowding 80 and I can tell you it isn't going to get any better. I do think the recollections of yore get better with each telling, if you know what I'm trying to say.:D

What were we talking about???? [S[S;)
Right there with ya guys.

Ok, not a racing story but... a few of us guy's would get together
on the weekends and go to the "big" city on the weekends and cruise
our cars up and down the streets and then meet up at our favorite
burger joint and maybe a race or two would evolve from there. I had
a 70 Nova SS at the time and another buddy had a 69, well we were
doing our thing down 3rd ave and all the stores had glass window fronts
and I noticed my buddy was watching himself and trying hard to look
cool, well he got to cool I guess because he plowed right into the back of
a little old lady in a caddy. He never did live that one down....:D;)
(no one was injured)

Latest posts

Back