48 pilot house

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinlizzy

Just bought a 1948 dodge pickup and need some advice as I have never been a dodge guy before. The engine is stuck and will need to be replaced. Is there a bigger version or small V8 that will mount to a stock 48 truck tranny? Where can you get sheet metal patch panels for this old dodge? I am new to this site as well as the dodge. Any help will greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
Tinlizzy

Hello and welcome.

I been a dodge guy forever and will help the best I can. It's good to have a dodge to be different but the downfall is that the aftermarket has not been very kind to them in reproducing parts. There are no aftermarket patch panels that I know of that are made for a '48 or earlier dodge trucks. I hope somebody can prove me wrong here...

You will probably either have to find a donor truck and cut the pieces you need or make them yourself. If you give fabrication a try you may love it. Best of luck with whatever you do.

As far as tranny's go. Im not aware of any small v8 that will bolt up to the '48 transmission. Id hit a junkyard and get a donor 318/904 combo. You can usually get them cheap or free. They are super reliable as me and a friend have had 318's go well into the 300k mile mark. Or you can get you a late 70's diplomat,aspen,or volare and grab the front clip with the 318 and weld it all up. This will give you the motor mounts already there along with p/s and disc brakes, rob the column while you are there to. I didnt know if you wanted to retain straight axle or not. Straight's look cool but the IFS of the '70's mopars will drive/steer/stop way better.

There are lots of ways you can go here and as stated good luck with what you choose.

The old flatty is a sweet engine if healthy but I agree the 318 swap is a good one, best V8 ever made (this from a Ford guy). Solid axle fronts are a pure joy to drive when they are tight, and a scarey deathtrap when they are wore out. My 54 Dodge with a 383 was the latter and I couldn't find parts for it so I swapped in a Saginaw power steering to fix the wore out steering box. It was a chore building the pitman arm and getting it right.

Latest posts

Back