Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Questions/Suggestions

Questions/Suggestions Questions or suggestions about the forum... don't be shy!

Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 PM

Default Just starting need help!

Okay so i am just starting i have the know how to get it done i just dont know where to start i have been loking for a 20' or 30's coupe or sedan with no luck should i just start building it bit by bit. I know i have till the end of nov to have a rat rod up and working or i will have no car any help would be great.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Older and more rusted every day!

Default Walkin' shoes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neocrowarchangel View Post
I know i have till the end of nov to have a rat rod up and working or i will have no car any help would be great.
I'm hoping you have a good pair of walkin' shoes!!!

Good luck on finding a project... I suggest you try Craig's List to find something in your area!!!

BoB

RRR on Facebook
RRR on Twitter
Wanted: Ratty '35 Olds coupe!
Old 05-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Can't leave well enough alone!

With that time frame, you would be better off to open your range of years. Seems to be more available and better deals.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Or you could go ahead and buy the first Model A you see - pay double to three times whats it worth, then rack your brain trying to find all the parts including a motor, a frame, tires and wheels, and everything else you'll need. THEN after you've thrown it all together in a few short months, drive it on down the road until it skids out of control into a tree or another car all because you were in such a big hurry to get it built!!
A Rat Rod takes time and patience to be safe. I totally understand your desire to get it rolling but be careful. There are plenty of examples out there of guys getting screwed over big time all because they were so eager to get started on their rods.

Slow down and take the time to find exactly what you want and what you can afford! You'll be glad you did in the long run. Trust me on this one!!!

Thunder1

"Aspire to inspire before you expire"
Old 05-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I don't want to rain on your parade, but November will come up waaaaaaaaay faster than you ever imagined. It took me 6 years to build my '27, a year and a half to build my '23, and we built my Kids '23 in 88 days. However, he had prepurchased every single part needed and had about $ 20K in parts sitting there ready to install, that is why we were able to do it. Even at that the car has had so many issues it still isn't on the street 6 months later, and we were working 16 hour days for each of those 88 days.

Point is, building a car from scratch takes time, lots of time. The only hope you have is finding a running or almost running car and do some things to get it on the road. I'm going to be doing another car that I hope to have running for Thanksgiving, but it is going to be very basic and most of it is already done.

I see by your other thread that you intend on this car being your daily driver. I think everyone on here will tell you that cars from the 20's and 30's are cool to putt around in occasionally, but not on a daily basis. Even the best ones need occasional attention and are nowhere as dependable as a car you need to get you to work and other places every day. I drove my '27 pretty much every day, but I also had a newer car sitting at home just in case.

I know it seems romantic to have a rat rod as your daily, and I wish you well, but I think you have to look at this realistically.

Don

Last edited by donsrods; 05-16-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Fascinated by rolling objects!

Geez, you could use some encouragement from somebody Find
a '50's truck even if it is just a body. A donor car or truck
up to the '70's. Make sure the brakes are good and everything is
attached securely.Heat and maybe a/c from the donor. I don't
see a big deal with driving it anywhere. More power to ya!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:44 PM
A *real* tin magnet

Where do you live? Where did you get that handle? Video game child?
Start a little simpler for a driver. Good brakes are a must. If you live ot have to drive in any kind of metro, manual drums are scarey as heck on a full sized vehicle, no matter what anyone else says.
You can always find something cool, different and economical. Maybe an old Rambler Rebel, Gremlin, Maverick, early 50s truck. I could put you on a decent 49 GMC 1/2 ton right now that you could have on the road for under $1500. Those are the kind of cars to start with, then use the truck to drive and gather parts for your little hotrod.

Last edited by Willowbilly3; 05-17-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:40 PM

Default OKAY

So i guess now i know iam not doing this bit by bit. Thanks for the help guys now some of you guys suggested getting old skl pickups my cuz works on old 50 trucks i know i could get something from him. Should i do that or just wait on ebay till someone has a rat rod i want. How much can i expect to pay for a model a rat rod? Thanks again for the advise
Old 05-20-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neocrowarchangel View Post
So i guess now i know iam not doing this bit by bit. Thanks for the help guys now some of you guys suggested getting old skl pickups my cuz works on old 50 trucks i know i could get something from him. Should i do that or just wait on ebay till someone has a rat rod i want. How much can i expect to pay for a model a rat rod? Thanks again for the advise
Neo, I built a 53 chevy pickup for less than 500bucks. I used a frame from an 82 Olds cutlass, it was a drivable car when I got it. I used the frame, engine (350 Olds and trans) and running gear, brakes, steering column, wire loom etc. I channeled the body over the frame, and shortened the bed about 12 inches. you can see a few pics of it here.
http://community.webshots.com/user/niteowl01244 Look into 53 lowrider album
Hope this helps some.

Last edited by riverrat44; 05-20-2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: more info
Old 05-21-2008, 11:58 AM

lol if your willing to come to canada i know these guys who sell a range of old cars... there not cheep but there mostly full cars and most of them are running. being canada the rust can be bad but can be fixed. i drive by there place every time i go to my cabin and they always have a new car up, they even have the angela i wanted to buy but they uped the price from the 300$ i was going to pay ill have to get photos and price's