Master Cylinder Tip

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
RIGHT SIDE PORT MASTER CYLINDER

For you folks that are using drum/drum manual brakes with the master cylinder mounted below the floor, here'a a factory master cylinder that you can buy at the local parts store that utilizes right side fluid ports. That way, with the master cylinder mounted below the floor and facing the rear of the car, the ports exit toward the frame rail instead of toward the transmission and/or exhaust system. This makes for a cleaner installation and prevents brake line clearance problems. Most factory master cylinders usually have left side ports

The application for the master cylinder I used is 1970 AMC Gremlin with manual drum/drum brakes. NAPA part numbers 10173 (rebuilt) and 4736237 (new). I know Speedway and others list a master cylinder with dual ports. But if you want to use a master cylinder that you can purchase at your local parts store or prefer not to block off the extra ports, this will work.

Installed on my coupe

any info on interchageable ones for..60 caddy,61 buick and 65 caddy..i checked on one for the 60 caddy on friday and it was over 100 bux..

the one I used was actually for a Rambler application , i`ll have to see if I still have the box , if so i`ll post the part number.

That's terrific Bill, I didn't know there were m/c that had the ports on the other side. I've always used the Mustang one and you are right, the lines end up close to the transmission sometimes.

Good post, thanks.

Don

Good tip.
Also, this is old info and may not be relevant but the reman m/c NAPA sells are sleeved with a stainless steel sleeve. Probably one of the few reman parts that are actually better than new (theoretically anyway)

Nice Tip...

Very nice tip, I will look at changing over to that setup.
Currently using a late '50's single type master cylinder,
the duel type would be worth the extra margin of safety. :eek: '22

$28.49 rebuilt
$37.49 new

Those are NAPA prices. You might find one cheaper elsewhere. Even cheaper if you could find one at the junkyard.

Ha... you must have known this was next on my list. I've never put brakes in a rod before.... I like the idea of the lines running to the frame side... would have never given it any thought otherwise. At that price it is a no brainer.

Thanks Gastrick

This is from Rockauto.com. The pictures didn't copy but it looks like they are available for both drum/drum and disc/drum. Thanks for the great tip.

A-1 CARDONE Part # 101373 {[Master Cylinder] Remanufactured.}
With Drum Brakes

$20.99 $10.00 $30.99
RAYBESTOS Part # MC36237 {Professional Grade Bore Size=1" Number of Ports=2 Primary Outlet Size=1/2x20}
Front/Rear Drum Brakes
Choose: [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty (Only 1 Remaining)] ($34.79)[Regular Inventory -- Full Mfr. Warranty] ($61.89)

A-1 CARDONE Part # 101384 {Remanufactured.}
With Disc Brakes

$20.99 $15.00 $35.99
RAYBESTOS Part # MC36386 {Professional Grade Bore Size=1" Number of Ports=2 Primary Outlet Size=1/2x20}
Front Disc Brakes; Rear Drum Brakes; Power Brakes

$61.79 $0.00 $61.79
RAYBESTOS Part # MC36456 {Professional Grade Bore Size=1 1/16" Number of Ports=2 Primary Outlet Size=1/2x20}
Front Disc Brakes; Rear Drum Brakes; Manual Brakes

$81.79 $0.00 $81.79
DORMAN Part # M56193 {First Stop}
w/Manual or Power Drum Brakes; Bore = 1"
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days

$29.79 $0.00 $29.79
DORMAN Part # M73333 {First Stop}
w/Power Disc Brakes; Bore = 1"
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days

$39.79 $0.00 $39.79
ACDELCO Part # 18M29 {#18030271}
Brake Master Cylinder: Durastop; With Power Brakes; 1 CYLINDER BORE
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 3 business days

$75.79 $0.00 $75.79

Master Cylinder Repair Kit

I believe most if not all of the AMCs have the ports towards the engine, which if the mc facing the rear it will have the ports on the frame side. Most were available with discs in the front. My 70 Javelin came with factory discs in the front. I changed them out for ones from a Spirit. The Gremlin, Hornet, Javelin 68-74, AMXs 68-74 and Spirit should all have that type of master cyclinder. Most AMC guys are going with the Spirit discs because parts are cheaper. Hope this helps. Ed

will that not work on disc/drum?

Not sure about that skyrush but plenty of disk/drum master cylinders have a one inch bore. This one that cycledog listed above is for a manual disk/drum setup and has a larger bore.

$61.79 $0.00 $61.79
RAYBESTOS Part # MC36456 {Professional Grade Bore Size=1 1/16" Number of Ports=2 Primary Outlet Size=1/2x20}
Front Disc Brakes; Rear Drum Brakes; Manual Brakes

Just curious, but I bought a power/drum setup from TCI. The new master cylinder turned out to be defctive. I call them up and they say it is a standard 1" bore master cylinder, like off ans early corvette. My question is, will the AMC unit above get it done? As in, will the two bolt flange be the same as what came off my setup? I sent the TCI master cylinder to the local parts house dude for him to match up, and some idiot chunked it in with the cores when the core guy showed up. I'm kinda screwed, but I'm thinking of just ordering the AMC unit to see if by chance it will work. Any thought?...

Latest posts

Back