what can i do to make exhaust louder?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59ponchorat

anything i can do to make the exhaust louder other than running straight exhaust?its got glass packs on it now..ive already tried the water into the muffler trick...

Well you could always drill some holes in the mufflers but of course that will create exhaust leaks under your car that could be dangerous. You can also cut the muffler open and remove some of the baffling material and then weld them back together or section and shorten the mufflers.

The world is a noisy place... I challenge you to double your muffler capacity and silence...Ha! OK... just kidding (sort of)... Actually volume isn't as important as tone or sound. Why louder?

Run the exhaust up through the floor boards................................

T2T, that is something I have said before.lol Mostly about those pukey sounding loud diesel pickups. The big old exhaust pipe is just about window level on a regular vehicle and they have to be on it...well just pipe it inside the cab if you like the sound so much, leave me out of it. I do not feel that way about hotrods and harleys tho. Just be considerate of other people's peace.
I used to pour a quart of oil into each new glasspack to burn them out quickly. Nowdays a nice turbo muffler is loud enough on my daily.

If you want your car to be louder you need your exhaust system to short and the tube size needs to matched to how much air your motor is moving.
are your pipes coming out of the car behind the axle if so just put a turn down in front of it.
What size is your piping? For most v-8s 2 1/2" or 2 1/4" is best for duals but i like a single 3" with a flowmaster 40 then a turndown in front of the axle.
then slap on a set of headers and man your just asking for a modifed exhaust ticket then, Trust me i know.:D
But be careful you dont want to **** your neighbors of too bad:)

While yer drivin' along at speed , turn off the ignition while still in gear,,wait a couple seconds, turn the ignition back on,, you should hear a loud BANG...! do this several times and yer muffler will finally explode at the seams,,,ending its career as a muffler. Yer car will now have the loud effect sound you desired. :D

I haven't heard a great sounding set of pipes since about 1968 :(
Straight pipes sound like straight pipes, always loud and rough. Pipe diameters
no more than 2" and running all the way out the back with well broke in
glasspacks used to produce an almost magical sound. Reality isn't what it used to be.

I know it is an old post but not that old. If you are running duals make sure there is no crosspipe running from right to left. That equalizes the pressure and quiets them down a bit.

oil

If there true glass packs..squirt some engine oil in um, not water! it will make that glass fall apart, and blow right out the end...old cherry bomb trick.....Shane-O

Latest posts

Back