Edelbrock Carbs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
Edelbrock makes two 600CFM 4 barrell carbs. One, Model 1405, has a manual choke. The other, Model 1406 has an electric choke. Many people think that that is the only difference between the two carbs. Not so! The electric choke model is jetted leaner, for economy, and the manual choke model is jetted richer, for performance.
I have found the electric choke model to be too lean on the primaries when used on a healthy 327sbc or anything larger. The engine will stumble, bog or have a flat spot under light acceleration. Moving the accelerator pump rod to the hole closest to the carb will help. But if that doesn't cure the problem, then changing the metering rods and jets to the ones used in the manual choke carb will eliminate any flat spot or bogging.
Model 1405 Jet size .100 metering rod .070 X .047
Model 1406 Jet size .098 metering rod .075 X .047
The cost of a pair of jets and metering rods is around $20.00.

Good tip. And just for a little more info. If you don't want the shiny silver finish, you can get the Edelbrock marine carb with an irridite finish. That's what I did for my Anglia. Be advised, no vacuum ports though. The 600 cfm model is part number 1409.

Comes with the following jets, rods and springs: Metering Jets: Primary .098, Secondary .101; Metering Rods: .068 x .047. Step-Up Spring: orange (5" Hg).

I also removed the little Edelbrock tag off of the front. I used this carb so I would have more of an old AFB carb look.

Really? I've had great luck with them every time I've used them on cars that get driven a lot. Set em and forget em. No fuss, no muss. Can you elaborate on why you think they suck?

just personal experiance they've always let me down so i just stick with holleys i think edelbrock needs to stick with what there known for intakes..

man i'm not into edelbrock carbs i think they suck.

Well, how did you feel about the Carter AFB's? The Edelbrocks are just a slightly redone AFB. I think they are easier to set up & make minor mods to than a Holley. A lot less touchy, also.

Got to agree on the Edlebrocks about how easy they are to work on. Have a shelf full of holleys in my garage,HATE EM!. Put an old carter a buddy gave to me on a corvette, it ran faster than with a new 600 holley. I guess it's all in your preference. Some people have great luck with holleys and some don't!..Just my 2 cents!.....CR

If you want to keep your carb price down a bit over a brand new card. Get part #9905 (man choke) or 9906 (elec choke). The only difference is these are rebuilt carbs but, have the same warranty as new. A 9906 has been on the wife's 283 for the last 3 years with not a hiccup.

Got to agree on the Edlebrocks about how easy they are to work on. Have a shelf full of holleys in my garage,HATE EM!. Put an old carter a buddy gave to me on a corvette, it ran faster than with a new 600 holley. I guess it's all in your preference. Some people have great luck with holleys and some don't!..Just my 2 cents!.....CR

Do you want to sell them Holleys I am a Holley guy don't get me wrong both carbs are great fuel controls but I have just always had Holleys to me they are simpler no long needle jets to get clogged up. I like the old daul feed side bowls on a tunnel ram i put two 570cfm Vac sec. on my T coupe and get 15 MPG with them, but like it was stated it is truly what a person likes.

Attachments

• DSCN0602.jpg
    DSCN0602.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0601.jpg
    DSCN0601.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for the tip on Edelbrock carbs. I `ve just got one I`m gonna try. Had a couple before, but always been partial to Holleys because they`re what I know.

Latest posts

Back