hoist

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be old, when i start tinkering the best we had was a pit. The hydraulic lift was a WOW look at that. :eek:
Did have a two post when i lived in my shop then got married (again) and had to move into a real house, wife and two daughters, it was a good trade [cl but i miss having a lift :(

I used 4 55 gal drums 4x4s and blocks and jacks till I was in my mid 40s then poof I got a 4 post ben-pak best $ ever spent ... now havnt done a body swap since then .... go figure ,, but I have done 1/2 dozen trans pulls and brake jobs .. bunches of oil changes ... But this thing is the best ... walk under it and just look at your junk instead of rolling on your back. I cant do that much now I hurt for days after rolling around under a truck ...

Offr, yes I remember those one post hoists. They sure blocked your reach anywhere around the transmission. Yuck.[/QUOTE]

I remember the lift pads were like feet you could flip up either low or high so you could get some clearance under the cars belly. Or if it was a truck with a low hanging xfer case and you needed some clearance. I remember lifting stuff as far forward as possible so you could pull a trans., what a pain.

Lift talk

This thread has been idle. I need a lift. I have 2 bays, and they are tall. I did the slab to handle a 2 post, but now I'm thinking 4 post. I want the lift for both storage and rod work.

I don't see storing a rat on a 2 post. I'm thinking Rotary or BendPak. Can you guys with lifts share any thoughts or suggestions. Quality is a must, and I think you get what you pay for. I had 3 bays, but my wife took one. :)

Each lift has its advantages and disadvantages.
I considered, for quite awhile, getting the 4 post before purchasing my second 2 post.
This winter I will be making a couple of aluminum decks so I can drive onto the lift and be able to remove them to use it as a 2 post.

Burger, I can't compare a two post to a four, because I've never had any two post experience. A hoist is really nice to have.
It seems that what the salesman tells you and reality are quite different, though. My thoughts are that you will either use the hoist as a hoist or a storage unit,---- not both.
I'll get you the name of mine soon; it seems to be a good quality machine. I agree with you; you get what you pay for.

I have a symetrical and an asymertical. The symetrical you can park the car facing either way but it's difficult to open the doors and hard to get in and out. with the asymetric I wouldn't want to pick up anything without having the heavy end closer to the posts unless it was very lite.

I have a 4 post lift. Deciding between 2 and 4 posts was difficult, but in the end, I ordered a 4 post as it seemed to make better sense in my space and expected use...

I still questioned my choice and judgment, until the I got the thing and started to use it. Drive on, drive off has proven effective for me, as I often "park" one on the lift and another underneath. (- 40° weather figures here!)

At any rate, I don't regret my choice as I've used the (split) platform as a welding table and adjustable work bench. It's had lawn mowers, ATVs, motorcycles, fence gates, trailer frames and damn near anything you can think of on its deck. Because its flat and true (I'm a welder/fabricator with increasing physical challenges), I prefer it over working on the floor...

Pros and Cons to both:

If I had room for 2 lifts, I'd have a 2 post and a 4 post. The 4 post eats more floor space and limits access to rocker panels and frame sections on low slung vehicles, unless you lift it off the deck. (I've done that. Not a big deal, but inconvenient in those situations.)

A 2 post takes less floor space and gives better access, though rockers and frame sections may also be impeded by the arms... and yeah, opening the doors is an issue.

Safety notes:

- I once witnessed a FAT Cadillac slip off a 2 post lift. (Read: Sh** in pants.)
- I personally had a Jeep pickup slip (partially) off a single post air/oil lift (Read: More sh** in pants.)
- I had an SUV on my 4 post... oil change, blah, blah... checked and adjusted tire pressure...the passenger front tire burst in my face, the vehicle (naturally) fell to the wheel's rim... the event moved the vehicle slightly to the affected side and though there was little fear of the vehicle leaving the platform, I crapped myself fully and completely.

Fear and common sense. Thousands of pounds above your head is serious business no matter the type of lift. (If there's a point to this long-winded post, use the equipment wisely!)

This winter I will be making a couple of aluminum decks so I can drive onto the lift and be able to remove them to use it as a 2 post.

Please share the project OI. [cl

When my rich uncle gets out of the poor house I want to get a 4 post.
They have one in the truck shop at my home terminal that will hold up my semi truck. If one can do that, I feel safe with one designed for car use. Getting too old to be crawling around on the hard floor anymore.

Thanks Guys

You guys are terrific and have given me much to consider. I need to be done crawling under a car using a floor jack and jack stands. Can't see as well and it's a pain. Each of us have smacked our heads I'm sure.
Iron. I'm intrigued by your aluminum ramp idea.
Dr. Crank. The fab table idea is fantastic! It never occurred to me. I was a contractor for 15 years and could have used a 4 post as you do.
Merc, Bam,Kenny, and Bill. Thank you also.
I have a 50 Pilot House and 52 Chev Sedan as projects at the moment. Have not been able to post photos. Computer crashed. Just have an iPad at moment.:)

Just because we have lifts don't think we don't still bang our heads, and sometimes we have more room to build up speed.
No kidding :eek:
I had mine up just high enough one day, with my cap on I couldn't see what was about to happen, I ran my forehead into the end of the lift arm so hard it knocked me to the floor.
I started to get mad and realized how funny that had to look and started laughing at myself while still lying on the floor :eek: :p :D

No kidding :eek:
I had mine up just high enough one day, with my cap on I couldn't see what was about to happen, I ran my forehead into the end of the lift arm so hard it knocked me to the floor.
I started to get mad and realized how funny that had to look and started laughing at myself while still lying on the floor :eek: :p :D

Yeah it's pretty hard to knock hell out of that guy that just knocked you down...:rolleyes:

Just because we have lifts don't think we don't still bang our heads, and sometimes we have more room to build up speed.

My lift tops out at 78'' or 6' 6''. The deck is 4'' thick and I'm 6' 2''. (I've been crowned "King Stupid" numerous times.) Having an abnormally thick skull helps... helps ensure an abnormally thick headache.

Lift Talk

I much appreciate the details Dr Crank. I'm 6'3" and want similar lift height capability. I want to stand under my car. Can't wait to do some exhaust work without laying on the floor.
I'm thinking that BendPak HD7P 4post will be a good fit for my shop. it's compact. Do you guys need a compressor also to supply air to your lifts?
It never occurred to me that a guy could have a 2 post and a 4 post. My skull is thick also. Very convenient at times:rolleyes:

My hoist is 110 Volts, electric over hydraulic. I'm dang tall too, but I find the comfortable height of the hoist rails is my shoulder height. That puts my head almost touching the bottom of the transmission or driveshaft or oil-pan. The flywheel/clutch dustpan, and rear-end have to be ducked under. Unfortunately, the end of the ramps are kinda pointy and forehead level, [about level with the peak of your cap].

Latest posts

Back