51 Willys Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had much luck with searching for vacuum related issues with the fans or wipers but I did find some little 12V vacuum pumps straight from china that are super cheep. If it seems like that fan is causing issues running it off manifold vacuum, I may just get one of these little electric vacuum pumps and hide it up under my dash. That way it will keep the cool old school fan working but not screw up how my engine runs. Sort of a funny way to do it but its a nice alternative. I kind of wonder if that would work for vacuum wipers too. My truck was converted to electric long ago (and they still barely work) but for those that still have vacuum wipers and don't want the expense and hassle of converting to electric, a small vacuum pump might be an easy and cheep bandaid.

I think the vacuum pump is a good idea. Brake boosters and vacuum advance work with a diaphragm so no air actually flows. Not sure how the wipers work. Even though I took mine apart, I couldn't figure it out.

The fan has a turbine. The engine vacuum draws air through the fan and powers the turbine. In the video you could hear the air rushing into the fan intake port. Maybe they were used before the engine needed a vacuum signal for the carb and ignition.

I vote for the hood, too. Great build.

I have a '57 Merc, and on the top of the fuel pump is an extra diaphragm pump to help with the vacuum wipers, so your thoughts are actually reality.
I think you have a good idea, getting a vacuum helper pump. Two cautions, though, the pump may make weird noises inside your cab, and 'cheap' is CHEAP, so you may not be happy with the Chinese pump, but the idea is a sound one.

I may grab one just to see how it works. They're only around 10 bucks so I don't have much to lose! I'm not too worried about extra noise in my cab. The lake headers will cover darn near anything a little vacuum pump could make LOL!

I did actually read up on these and they were originally meant to run off of manifold vacuum. I even found an instruction sheet that tells you how to drill and tap a hole in your manifold for them! In any case, the extra pump may well be a good idea.

I keep picking away at little detail things. I finally got around to making a gasket setup for my steering column and a new mount for my high beam indicator light. The mount is a 50 cal BMG belt section with a cutoff brass in it.

collumn%2Bgasket.JPG

hi-beam%2B1.JPG

hi-beam%2B2.JPG

I'm making a set of headrests for the truck. It's just a safety thing since the back of my head would hit right on the edge of the rear window frame if I ever got rearended. They are held on with super strong magnets so they are fairly easily removed and I din't have to modify the back of my cab in any way.

headrest%2B2.JPG

headrest%2B1.JPG

headrest%2B3.JPG

I'm making a set of headrests for the truck. It's just a safety thing since the back of my head would hit right on the edge of the rear window frame if I ever got rearended. They are held on with super strong magnets so they are fairly easily removed and I din't have to modify the back of my cab in any way.

headrest%2B2.JPG

headrest%2B1.JPG

headrest%2B3.JPG

That's an awesome idea that I might steal... Nice work!

Here are some pics of how I out the headrests together. I used 3/8 plywood for a backing, put t-nuts in it where I wanted my leg/magnet setup and then covered in in about an inch of firm foam. Then I just wrapped it in pleather. I'm certainly no upholsterer but they look OK. I set it up so that the magnet leg is offset from the window frame so that it is fully supported between the 2.

headrest%2B7.JPG

headrest%2B4.JPG

headrest%2B5.JPG

headrest%2B8.JPG

headrest%2B10.JPG

I just keep picking away at details! I didn't like the "red flag" battery cutoff key that I had so I made a new key for it. I know it's not entirely cool to use machined aluminum for stuff but I figure it's my truck and I have to tools a capability so, for certain things it's fine. Anyway, I modeled the top of a beer bottle with the key for the cutoff on the back end and turned it then snapped a bottle cap on the end:D

cutoff%2Bkey%2B2.JPG

cutoff%2Bkey%2B1.JPG

I made a new shift lever. I set it up so that it will be pretty easy to change out if I decide I want to try something else.

hook%2B2.JPG

hook%2B3.JPG

hook%2B1.JPG

Not that many people have used those any more! I've used them than more than I ever really wanted too and I'm no rancher!

Here are a couple of pics from the burn out at the local car show that we had a month or so ago.

IMG_3461.JPG

IMG_3462.JPG

Latest posts

Back