1951 Ford F1

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to a Fathers Day show today to the F1 Rat, Mustang, AMX, and Challenger. People really liked the Rat. Most people would look at the muscle cars and peek inside but they would walk around the Rat a couple of times and SMILE.:D Won Best Construction Project. AMX won best 4 speed car.

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Last edited:
dmw56; Thank you for all the pics of your chop. And the way you explained each step. I plan to chop my 50f1 in the next few weeks and will be using the pics you posted to do mine. Your truck looks Awsome. RUSTY

Got the truck titled today with paper work from Broadway Title. :D A major hurdle since my last visit at the NM MVD. :mad: Yeah, I know they do thing a little backwards here MVD-DMV. Just need to get proof of insurance and I can get it registered.

Last edited:
I finally had time again to work on the truck this weekend. Except for yesterday afternoon when the wife came out to the shop and said we had to go into town because the 32" LCD flat screen TV she just bought was ready to pick up! :eek: We get to the store and told us they were out of that model so my wife says give us a deal on a bigger one and we'll take that one. So somehow we ended up with a 40" LCD for the bedroom. I got better things to do in the bed room than watch TV. ;)

Well anyway I did continue on the floor of the truck and got the steering column mounted and the steering shaft to the box set up.

I'm using the steering column out of my 50 Stude because I had it an it seems to fit/work just fine.

004-10.jpg

I mounted the column with a 1 1/2 dia. column mount. I know it's billet! :rolleyes:
005-11.jpg

I'm using a reversed Corvair box and mounted it so the pitman arm hole for the drag link is in the same line as the rear hairpin mount and steering arm. Should not have a bump steer problem. I hope.

IMG]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh271/dmw56/51%20truck/001-9.jpg[/IMG]

002-10.jpg

I used a double u-joint shaft from a Chevy van the column end was the same diameter it just needed flat spot ground on the column so it would slide into the u-joint. There are splines in the u-joint but not on the column but it shouldn't slip since there is the flat spot in the u-joint and on the column and the bolt clamps it tight.

003-10.jpg

010-7.jpg

Finally got around to take pictures of what I got done this week end. I mounted the master cylinder and brake pedal. I'm using the manual disc brake master cylinder out of my 72 Chevelle. I converted it to power disc when I put the 454HO in it. It needs all the stopping power it can get at 452hp and nearly 3800 lbs.

001-10.jpg

007-8.jpg

I got my drag link today and put it on. I will need to drill out or bush the steering arm and pitman arm holes to match the tie rod end holes. Steer effort is good standing still. The big diameter steering wheel out of the Stude helps with that.

005-12.jpg

006-12.jpg

I didn't any good photos of the front and rear suspension mounts. So I took a couple more then the battery in the camera went dead. The rear uses coil overs and radius rods. There is more clearance than what it looks like in the pics.
002-11.jpg

003-11.jpg

The front is a spring behind bat wings with radius rods.

004-11.jpg

Latest posts

Back