Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Frame/Suspension/Brake... Talk & Q&A

Frame/Suspension/Brake... Talk & Q&A All things... Frame/Suspension/Brake

Old 02-11-2020, 04:30 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05snopro440 View Post
I was going to comment something similar the other day but didn't have time.

If everything is moving as designed, you shouldn't have any significant forces in that area of the control arm. As soon as you get wear or lack of lubrication that can cause the stress flow in the part to change and getting bending or other stresses in areas that previously experienced negligible stress. If the control arm one side is cracked, it's probably a good idea to replace the control arms on both sides.
yep indeed this has crossed my mind.. i thinkim partially responsible as i have greased anything - although i dont think it wouldve saved tharm ,

the opposite side looks as if it was replaced. brake pedal was super sticky so have stripped cleaned and regreased the pivot works great ..

i suspect the last owner really just didnt know or care that Studes need their nipple greased every 1000miles .. i got a new tube of grease and 26 nipples waiting for fun

the greatest victory is to live
Old 02-13-2020, 10:50 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23crate View Post
yep indeed this has crossed my mind.. i thinkim partially responsible as i have greased anything - although i dont think it wouldve saved tharm ,

the opposite side looks as if it was replaced. brake pedal was super sticky so have stripped cleaned and regreased the pivot works great ..

i suspect the last owner really just didnt know or care that Studes need their nipple greased every 1000miles .. i got a new tube of grease and 26 nipples waiting for fun
Unless you've put tons of miles on the car, it was more likely a result of years of insufficient maintenance from previous owners.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:03 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05snopro440 View Post
Unless you've put tons of miles on the car, it was more likely a result of years of insufficient maintenance from previous owners.
id be surprised if ive done more than 1500miles in it ...

the greatest victory is to live