I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dragster

Cool old flathead dragster I threw together

Attachments

• IMG_20160809_173036750.jpg
    IMG_20160809_173036750.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20160808_185613185.jpg
    IMG_20160808_185613185.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 81
Yamaha970 - That is a great looking 3 point cage flathead dragster.[cl

bob w --- Great 11.70 @ 117 with a world class .006 reaction time. You said you need more converter, what RPM were you able to stall and leave at?

Just think what you might be able to push that big 6 Ford to if you were able to run more than once a year. Maybe 11.20 @ 120 is the new set point.[P

Glad you are feeling better and can get out and play a little.:)

These wheels are spares used on Ford sedans. I found one in a junkyard and it took a year before I got the second one at a swap meet. I just had them drilled for the 5 1/2" bolt circle on the front of the dragster. I bought some used front runner tires recently that will be mounted to these rims. Should be a lot lighter than the '35 ford spoke wheels on the front now.
Cute little dragster Yamaha 970. Did you run it much ?

There was a group of invited vintage style drag cars at Rock falls Raceway in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. I brought the dragster and my friend Dave brought my Crosley. The Crosley ran a new best time of 10.41 @126.
I had nothing but trouble with the dragster. Earlier I modified the gas pedal so I could floor it without getting out of shape in the seat. Well, the mods were horrible as I could hardly work the throttle. I was so distracted by that that I couldn't even shift the Powerglide right.
The event was sponsored by the Meltdown Drags guys and about 75 cars from southern Wisconsin and Illinois were there. We're hoping the event will grow and we can have an exclusive vintage race car event like the Meltdown Drags next year.

So, the perfect light will have to wait. ;)

Good to see the Crosley sorted out and running strong!

Sorry for your trouble with the dragster... but, a bad day at the track is better than...

Wish I could have made the trip but it was not to be. Found out what the problem with the Scout was ... to much crankcase pressure. Guess I forgot to tell Dave (or he didn't listen) that you have to remove the foam from the breathers when you run alcohol for fuel. For some reason it causes the foam to collect moisture and effectively prevent the crankcase from venting which results in blowing out the seal on the intake manifold. He then had some problem with the mag so his weekend ended there. The Prefect made a best ever pass at 10.27 and the Scout went 10.03 on the only pass it made so the guys counted the weekend a success.

Replacing intake gaskets in the Scout. I didn't bother the brothers as it seemed they were quite busy and I was having problems of my own.

A Cammer engine in a '55 Ford. Wow!

I made a slick working gas pedal and linkage for the dragster today. Will run some driveway tests when my next door neighbor, Mean Jean, goes to her cabin for a weekend.

Yes, zz, a day at the drags, even when doing bad, it still a great day. I immediately fixed the gas pedal and am excited for next year.
I noticed some of the guys had Schwinn Stingray bikes for pit bikes. It looked like a good idea so I found this folding bike on Craigslist. Mint condition. Made in Austria. 50 bucks.

Yes, zz, a day at the drags, even when doing bad, it still a great day. I immediately fixed the gas pedal and am excited for next year.
I noticed some of the guys had Schwinn Stingray bikes for pit bikes. It looked like a good idea so I found this folding bike on Craigslist. Mint condition. Made in Austria. 50 bucks.

What kind of motor you gonna put on this one? [ddd[ddd[ddd

This is an awesome thread, this is the second time I've went through it. Those old school dragsters are really cool. I went to MoKan yesterday 10/16. There was 5 or 6 of the dragsters there, put on a good show. Also some vintage altereds and gassers...Got lots of pics, just gotta get em posted.[cl

Help! I've started collecting folding bicycles. This little number is Japanese. I like the handle bars. Sort of like a Japanese Sting Ray.

Hey ratadixhun44, hurry up and post those Mokan pics, will ya?

Finally a Craigslist score. A pair of 15 by 7 slots for $60. They are Internationals made in Benicia, CA. They went out of business in the 70's. Company was owned by Jacuzzi who decided to concentrate on the booming hot tub/spa business.

To me they are a lot neater than just plain slots since they have a bead around the slots. It's a pretty vintage look.

I'll probably have to get a new bolt pattern drilled because they used a special lug nut that tapers from the outer surface of the wheel to the wheel mounting surface.

Latest posts

Back