International L122 B Binder Rat Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats man... Turn away for a second and all of a sudden you are out driving it!!

Thanks you guys for th comments!
I'm pretty happy to have it rolling. Still lots to do, but at least I can now enjoy it while I kill time wrenching on it.

I got some old style "big rig" mirrors for it that fit very well. I got the drivers side mounted but it was nearly impossible to adjust it due to all the west coast salt scale and rust on it. So I decided I wanted to try to bust the passengers side apart and clean up the threads a bit.
I got the bottom tube out (they go together with compression nuts) and cleaned up well. But I couldn't get the top tube to break free to save my life.
I made a fatal mistake by introducing heat. I got the nut hot to try to break it free, and the aluminum cap liquified and fell apart.
Ugh. No way I'll find another mirror to fix this one :(

Sooooo...... I've been looking for a reason to try my hand at casting metal. And now I have a legitimate reason to do it.
So I'm gathering parts to build a furnace to try my hand at it. I can get the part to copy off the other mirror easy.
Only thought I have is instead of re-casting the replacement part out of aluminum, I think I want to do it out of brass.
If that goes well, I'd like to make brass valve covers for the engine. Mostly because I love the look of brass, but also because nobody else has brass valve covers on their 4BT :)

I still have the original cast metal International logos for the sides of the cab. I've gotten about a billion "what is it" questions already, so some brass International emblems might be in order too :)

We'll see.

Looks real good.

From your photos outside the parts shop it appears as though 'Bryan "Bulldog" Moore' didn't keep up with payment on his billboard account!

Man this thing is cool. And 27 MPG!! Wow, that's incredible. I back tracked the thread a little and don't think I saw what you did to the windshield. Did you find a modern car with a good curve for it? Have fun with it, glad to see it on the road.

Latest posts

Back