'35 Ford 1 1/2 ton

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesgs4

Starting a build thread to help track my progress and keep me motivated on this project. I seem to start really strong on a project, but lose interest soon after. This one I want to be driving by spring, so I hope I stay on track long enough to meet that goal.
Bought it sight unseen from craigslist a couple of months ago. It was cut right behind the cab. Made it a bitch to unload!
1350014306.jpg

home!
1350014353.jpg

started tearing into it
1350014428.jpg

24 stud flatty, maybe save it for later?
1350014454.jpg

chop
1350014520.jpg

1350014614.jpg

scored a frame and rear for 2 bones!
1350361776.jpg

this cab is beat to hell, but it is my 1st time chopping and good practice.
1350715835.jpg

Last edited:
A lot more work than I thought just to get to this point.
I am now waiting for my new welder to start the chassis work. I did everything I could with my little 110v wire feed, but I need more juice to tackle the frame. Plans are low and short, with just enough bed to carry my bike with the tailgate down. I have my wrecked 71 camaro to donate running gear for now, so in will go the ever popular 350/350 combo. It will definitely have a 4 speed in it when it's done, I really hate automatics. [;)

1352572216.jpg

1352574465-1.jpg

Last edited:
a small amount of progress has been made, weather and time permitting. It's almost a roller.
1358826613.jpg

got this today, getting ready to start on the Z'ing of the frame.
1358827889.jpg

Looks like you did a great job getting the chop done!!! How did the back of the cab turn out? Looks like it had some heavy damage back there....

It is still pretty dented, I had to hammer and clamp a lot just to get it close enough to weld.

I am in. Nice work. I have 2.5 35 ford cabs and a frame myself waiting in the wings...[P[P

Picked up some new toys!

Finally got started on my frame step-z, going to box it soon. Still lots of welding to do.

Also picked up a new speedway front end, but still not low enough. I am going to either raise my crossmember or fab one out of angle iron.

Last edited:
Hi james. Welcome. How much did you chop out of your cab? I'm just finishing a '36 stock height, but I have two more rough cabs to put together for a ratrig. It might get a chop. You probably already know that the big truck fenders are about two inches wider than the pick-ups. You'll be O.K. if you have the big truck brackets under there.
Keep on tinkering.

I chopped the top until I liked the look, the side window openings are 7 1/2" measured in the middle. I am not sure on the overall chop because I forgot the stock measurements. Not going to run fenders, prob going to build the trans tunnel out of them.

Got some leaf springs from a ford ranger, different rear end from a camaro. Frame boxed and narrowed. It is almost ready to be welded back together. Holy **** this is a lot of work! lol. Chipping away a couple of hours a day after work.

work

lots of work, but if yer havin' fun it's all worth it & just think how cool it will be ridin' down the road in something you built.

Later :cool:

Got some leaf springs from a ford ranger, different rear end from a camaro. Frame boxed and narrowed. It is almost ready to be welded back together. Holy **** this is a lot of work! lol. Chipping away a couple of hours a day after work.

[cl[cl[cl[cl
You've only just begun.... :D

Scored a bed from craigslist this morning, was hoping to be able to sell the trailer after I removed the bed, but it has no suspension under it and it is too crude to sell. Oh well, I'll scrap the frame, sell the spindles, brakes, and possibly the wheels to recoup some cash. One of the old bias-ply tires had a flat spot from sitting, made for an interesting drive home

Latest posts

Back