Healey 3000 hop up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pedals are 'cosy' for the larger shoe, but my feet are okay as long as I'm not wearing work boots..... Throttle will be to the side, tucked out of the way.

IMG_20160624_093049_zpskd4x3zkr.jpg

IMG_20160624_093039_zpskkeexotv.jpg

Filling fluids will need a flash-light, a mirror and some sort of squirt bottle contraption.

IMG_20160624_092827_zpsjx5o9jjt.jpg

IMG_20160624_092935_zps3kkjand3.jpg

Column is to be a Speedway unit, with detachable wheel, might be needed....

IMG_0121_zpsuqsdkz6t.jpg

IMG_0120_zpsihlgwxdz.jpg

Kinda depressing when I see how much more glass work, grinding and smoothing there is to be done. The itchy and scratchy show!!!

Is the glass firewall going to be strong enough for the masters? [S Or does it have some steel reinforcement I missed? [S

There is a 2mm steel plate with matching holes that goes on the inside. You can just see it in one of the pics. That will tie them together, and I'll have a simple strut that bolts from the plate to the frame. That will take the load rather than putting 1/4" of 'glass all over the firewall.

I'm toying with the idea of making a complete flip front for it. It already has brackets at the front of the frame, and a saw cut round it just behind the hood perimeter would make it fairly 'easy' operation.

Something similar to this but with less clutter and inner wings in the way.

KenPercival-AA_zpsqkwwp3ej.jpg

Made some progress lately, got the motor mounted, decided to go with a Powerglide trans as I have none of the hardware, clutch, housing, linkages to mount the T10, and where I live you just don't find or get that sort of thing easily.

After getting the 'glide overhauled the builder pointed out it is a 16 spline output, and of course, nobody has a yoke that size..... so I've ordered one from Dennys drive shafts.

IMG_20160824_152035_zpspkdf75ny.jpg

I decided to overhaul the rear axle, which is of unknown make or vintage. I think it is Toyota, 4:11 ratio or somewhere near. Looks quite heavy and will suffice for now. The thinnest part of the axle is 1 1/16". Heavy taper roller bearings at the wheel end. I put new wheels studs in, and had the shoes relined.

IMG_0482_zpszl51yf4c.jpg

Of course, I couldn't find the right brake cylinders, but something close was made to fit...

IMG_0485_zpsch2fjn75.jpg

I threw some epoxy grey on the firewall just to tidy it up. looks a bit crappy where the new and old overlap.... Hope to put a sheet of 16 gauge aluminum there eventually.

IMG_0481_zpswep5gcnv.jpg

After my three years messing with an inadequate cooling system on my hot rod I decided to bite the bullet and throw a big aluminum Summit rad in this at the start.

IMG_20160818_102108_zpsurpkepsh.jpg

IMG_20160818_102046_zpsny42dplj.jpg

Had no throttle pedal, so made one from scrap ends of steel.

IMG_0128_zpsbd1cafbj.jpg

Made a big mistake with the 'glide, as it wasn't until after it was overhauled that I discovered it has the 16 spline output shaft. Of course, nobody in this country has a suitable slip yoke so I had to order one from the USA and got raped on shipping, import duties etc. That yoke cost me more than the 'glide and overhaul did! I also ordered a cross joint and weld-in drive shaft end, from Dennys Drive Shafts so it wasn't too tragic. ;)

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c602_weld_yokes_tube_yokes.html

Anyway, I made up a drive-shaft, tacked it together, spun it in the car with a dial gauge on, less than 0.015" total run out, so it should be okay.

Got an alternator mounted. Nice and discrete bolts between frame and motor, you can do that with solid engine mounts. [;)

IMG_20160917_133744_zpsqhecqdoz.jpg

I did a mock up with some home made 'Brooklands screens' and stuff.

IMG_20160905_091524_zpskqntip4m.jpg

Rebuilt the rear brakes with new cylinders and relines shoes.

IMG_0485_zpsch2fjn75.jpg

Drive shaft and a rack I made to mount the battery over the fuel tank in the trunk.

IMG_20160907_125908_zpspqmyiwe5.jpg

This is a great Build KH...

So far it's been some interesting stuff.... Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build... Nice work...[cl [P

Thank guys, I need to get my ass in gear as we plan to move to England in the next few months, so this needs finishing and selling. I doubt I can take it with us.:(:eek:

Unfortunately I had to sell the Healey project, as we are moving back to England soon. Hopefully the next owner will finish it, as he got a great deal on it. I sold it for way less than half what I'd paid for the body, motor, parts, accessories etc.:eek:

I think that is traditional for project cars??? :eek: :( :mad:

Latest posts

Back