wyke 32 sedan

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you do such clean work, impressed everytime i look at your builds. That trans mount/link mount is a work of art.. almost looks as though it was cast

finally back on this one for a little bit.

the quarter panels are a little rough at the bottoms and around the wheel wells. we also wanted to rais the wheel well 1" for clearance with the large tires. So with that said there wasnt much of a choice except to make new quarters. so here is the process so far

after all the patterning the major shaping of the panel took place. here is the cleaned up bare quarter cleco'd in place

then i had to make a die set to do the lower half of the center body line/ belt line. after the die said was made and tested. the belt line was hammered into the top of the panel

then moving onto the wheel well bead. this was a challenge to lay out. had to raise just the center of the wheel well, then blend that arc into rest of the stock radius of the wheel well, all while keeping it round and smooth. so after that was determined and laid out, i had to make a guide fence for the dies to ride on to put the bead in

after the fence was done, and a hand full of dry runs on setting the wheel well bead. it was a go and hammered in the wheel well bead

Then had to turn the edge of wheel well bead to turn under to meet the wheel well. used the power hammer and a tipping die set i made to do this. here is the panel with the old quarter removed, and the new one cleco'd in place. still some tuning to do on the wheel well tipped edge, and turn the edge for the door jamb. but starting to look like something. hope to make the wheel well tomorrow.

yes sir....

real nice to see some metal finishing going on.... rare started my working life in a body shop.. loved doing that sort of work ....

will be watching the progress with great interest .. great work [P[P

got the fading accent bead done in the wheel well today as well as some trimming and fine tuning. now i can start the final trimming and fitting to get the wheel well ready to weld into the new quarter. then it will be ready to weld in the car

also started finishing the new roof panel on the pass side that Kyle Yocum started for me back in July

things didnt quite go as planned on the recess for the rain gutters. some how either i miss measured or the pattern moved as i was laying out the line. so the recess was about .375 to high at the front of the car. instead of throwing away the piece that i had a ton of time in, it was better to cut and add a section in the panel to move the recess down. had to do a little shrinking and stretching to make it fit right but it resolved the problem

cut and the piece moved down with the filler tacked in

welded solid and a pass through the power hammer to flatten out the weld. still need to add a little form to the bottom edge and some planishing, but it coming around.

You don't have to answer this question if it is too personal. Is it cost effective to put this much panel construction into a sedan body?

yea, it is worth it. a lot of people are building sedans right now. making the replacement panels is about all you can do since no one produces anything for sedans. plus this one has that magic number associated with it "1932"

Latest posts

Back