Overhead Track and Trolley System

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper

Canadian Rust Bucket
I've had a track and trolley system in my shop now for number of years and it's worked out great for what it's intended for. Light and medium weights (as in 350 pounds or less) can be lifted, moved, or held in place. I work by myself most time, but need a second hand now and then, and this comes into play. I built an overhead track from barn door track using notched 2x2 angle iron welded at 2 ft centers on the track itself. (I used the square style as opposed to the round "Cannon Ball" type, only because it's was easier to work with.) Using 2 ft centers matched the rafter spacing in my shop. The angle iron is lagged to the rafters using 4 lags per angle. Drilling small pilot holes first, so you don't split the rafter, it holds the intended weight just fine. The big thing is be certain the roof and ceiling joist/rafters can support the additional load. I plan on mounting another over track over my big lathe, to hold and support the heavier items while chucking them up. Helps save the back, and pinched fingers. The track doesn't hang any lower than a regular floresent light, so no overhead clearence is lost. This isn't an end all be all, but some people may be able to use this as well. Sniper

Attachments

• Overhead track 001a (Medium).jpg
    Overhead track 001a (Medium).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Overhead track 002a.jpg
    Overhead track 002a.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Overhead track 003a (Medium).jpg
    Overhead track 003a (Medium).jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Overhead track 004a (Medium).jpg
    Overhead track 004a (Medium).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Overhead track 005a(Medium).jpg
    Overhead track 005a(Medium).jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 74
Mine is a Harbor freight 110 v winch with a couple more snatch blocks to slow the spool rate down and let it lift more. I use it for bodies and frames mostly, and light motors--bangers and 5.0 Fords. SBCs and BBCs I use a chain hoist and a trippled 2x10 joist.

The track is a welded together U chanell with a trussed upper frame, all attached to 3 trippled 2x10 ceiling joists.. Works fine.

I have big overheads at work and they ruined me..

PA41

Attachments

• kidnrat 027.jpg
    kidnrat 027.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 71
Thats pretty nice. When I was like 17 me and my brother made a bracket connecting 2 2x10 floor joists in my dads basement to pull a motor for a friend of mine. Looking back now its a wonder that slant 6 didnt break them and the motor hit the floor. sigh to bey young and dumb again

Yeah--Beeing young is kinda like 'research and developement' High risk and lots of failure, but you often discover new things. Some of the time experience actually holds you back, thinking something won't work that actually will.

That overhead of mine is a little on the light side--the winch boggs lifting a motor, and the rail is suspect--its got a little too much 'personality' really. I make sure I'm standing away when I stress it. I originally built it for a 300 lb glass Cobra body I needed to move off and on a chassis a lot, where it worked well.

Ya takes ya chances N pays ya dues----.

PA41.

Sniper thats a good set up i am putting one up in my shop this summer and looking for different ideas i have an high celling so i was thing I beam for the runner.

Sniper, you too never cease to amaze me! A great idea, as I usually work alone too. Getting to old for heavy lifting!:D..and yes it's a wonder most of us survived our childhood. I remember pulling a 389 from my goat in my girlfriends garage with 2X6 ceiling joists holding that monster weight. Truly luck we survived without too much permanent damage....:D..CR

Latest posts

Back