Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Tech Tips!

Tech Tips! Share your kool tech tip.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:45 AM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

An update on the tank and tube radiator idea.

I saw an article about the Brassworks experimental radiator I described above and it seems the whole idea was something of a flop !! StreetRodder did tests on it in real world driving situations ( traffic ! ) and it turned out that it just stored too much heat instead of getting rid of it. The temp kept on climbing and was extremely hard to bring down without stopping the engine. It just couldn't shed the heat as fast as a regular rad - in order to increase the surface area, the fluid capacity went up too - just too much hot water and metal to cool off.
I guess it made a better hot water heater than radiator.......

So much for bright ideas.....
Old 11-21-2010, 06:28 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

That makes sense about the one from Brassworks not working in a real world situation............nothing beats a good old radiator for cooling. I have a Brassworks radiator in my 27 that I had them build over 20 years ago. I think I am finally going to have to replace it with an aluminum one from PRC. It just isn't up to the job of cooling the 331 in the car now........runs at about 210-220, and that is warmer than I like the aluminum heads getting.

If anyone is considering putting a radiator in the back, Speedway sells some great "universal" aluminum radiators in Ford and Chevy hose configurations, and in various widths. Price is very competitive.

Don
Old 11-21-2010, 09:08 AM
The Rat Master!

A crazy idea I have had for years is to use the tube frame rails as a radiator. Send the water down inside the left frame rail across the rear cross member and then up the right frame rail, back the the engine. The would be a lot of surface area to dissipate heat. The highest point would be the thermostat housing and you would have to get all the air out. Never tried it too much work. I figured if it would work everybody else would be doing it.

Toll Free 855-TBUCKET
Old 11-22-2010, 01:41 AM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM View Post
A crazy idea I have had for years is to use the tube frame rails as a radiator. Send the water down inside the left frame rail across the rear cross member and then up the right frame rail, back the the engine. The would be a lot of surface area to dissipate heat. The highest point would be the thermostat housing and you would have to get all the air out. Never tried it too much work. I figured if it would work everybody else would be doing it.
Boy, I'm glad you said it first, I thought I was the only one to think of that. I think it would run into the same problem of too much water volume to cool...
On a warm day that would redefine the meaning of a "hot ride" , being surrounded by a hot frame....
I also thought of using tubes from a hot water radiator - the kind that are copper pipes with a bunch of aluminum fins on them - and run them along the frame rails underneath....
But like you said, if it was so smart, we'd see it out there on the road.