Wood is good.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perfect fit! [cl

attachment.php

Thanks OI and Doc.
It's getting there.
Of course the other side will be better then this one.:eek: :D
Lots of work just to have it all covered up.
I will get back at it tomorrow as I stopped when I heard the Olds was being delivered today.
Even more work for Torchie now....

Little bit more done today.
Temp screwed on the old remaining bottom side plank section and old chine cover. This will give me an idea as to how much more needs to be trimmed back. Things get tricky the closer you get to the bow.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 13
The last pic shows the V trench I will have to cut into the new chine as we approach the bow. I will have to sort of eyeball this as it changes depth and angle about every 2 inches.

Things get tricky the closer you get to the bow.

How was this done originally? The tapering V trench and compound curves lead me to believe they were formed and fit in a jig...

Most likely DR. Perhaps done before it was steam bent and put into place.
I have seen some of this done on the boat with a router as well.But it takes a steadier hand then mine.
The trench on this chine is the only two piece chine that I have seen done this way. Not sure why. And when I've talked to some of the local restorers about it most just shrug and say"Do it like the factory did." Which of course I'm not.:eek:
I did get some more trimming done as I head towards the bow. If you look close at the last pic you can see that starting at point where the waterline crosses over the chine cap, to the end by the bow, I need to do more trimming.
Hopefully tomorrow if the heat lets up.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 15
Finished trimming down the PS chine.
Fitted on the old planks and all looks well.
When I do the other side I will start at the bow and work aft. I'm also looking into making some sort of router jig to cut the V trench. This one turned out ok but a router would be cleaner and quicker.
And as I have said before. None of this will show once the inner ply and outer planking are on.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 8
Started in on the SB side chine today.
You can see that even after being screwed to the the bottom of this hull for over 60 years the old planks still had to be forced into place.:eek:
When replacing the two planks closest to the keel and near the bow, the new ones will get steam bent and clamped into place prior to the final attachment.
I will be doing this side slightly differently as I will be starting at the bow and working aft.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 11
Real craftsmanship right there. [P[P

Yep. that's me.....[ddd
I'm such a craftsmen that I'm going to have to redo the entire SB side chine due to my screw up.:mad:
That's what I get for trying to do this one a different way.
I can't really afford these types of set backs.
A bummed out Torchie

That really sucks Torchie, I think I have gone down that road a couple times with the same results. Sometimes we should just stick with what we know works.:mad::mad:

That really sucks Torchie, I think I have gone down that road a couple times with the same results. Sometimes we should just stick with what we know works.:mad::mad:

I wasn't 100 percent happy with the PS one that I did first so I changed it up on the SB side. Now I love the PS chine.[ddd
I looked at trying to fix this one but.... There are 3 ways to repair something.
Number 1.Do it all over and right this time.:)
Number 2. Repair it so that it's still strong ,but ugly.:eek:
Number 3. The "Don't ever tell anyone I did this" repair.:eek:
I can only live with Number 1 on this boat.

Yep. I'm so PO'd that the dogs won't even come around me.:eek:
Time to get back up in the wood loft to see if I still have enough planks to do another.
Torchie.

you can always torchie the boat... :p:p:p

#1 seems a good way to go. No happiness if you take another route. The set back really sucks but in the end the boat will be sweet [cl

you can always torchie the boat... :p:p:p

#1 seems a good way to go. No happiness if you take another route. The set back really sucks but in the end the boat will be sweet [cl

If it had been outside I would have considered it, dutch.[ddd
I'm over it now......:rolleyes:
I pulled off the bad chine and pulled the last of my wide and long Planks out of the wood loft.
I really don't want to rip that wide one as they are really hard to come by and I had planned on using it for at least 2 of the odd shaped bottom planks.
I called the supplier where I got this from originally and they still have some mahogany there s I think I will make the trip over tomorrow.
I cringe when I think about the cost.....
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 8
That's funny [cl and not so funny :( at the same time!

A wise man once told me, "Any job worth doing, is worth doing right." Seems obvious to me, you've also met that wise man, Torchie...

Meeting him and listening to him is always 2 different things good Dr.:eek: [ddd
Of course the irony is that once the bottom is on no one would ever see the repair. I guess I still have some pride left if it's going to have my name on it. I suspect that once that goes I will be done building anything.....
Torchie

Started the process for the new SB chine today.
Ripped into my last 16'x12" mahogany plank.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts