1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, joedoh. :D

Here's another theory: We have the original (mechanical) lid supports and one doesn't function at all. The lid is long and heavy, so I can imagine, the lack of support (over time) could overload the hinge repeatedly and "work" the hinge to deformity. [S

Detective work aside, I really don't care how or why the hinge is bent. We'll do whatever it takes to make the lid fit perfectly...

Last edited:
Some progress on the lid today...

We ironed out all of the "one more case of whiskey" wrinkles inside. The photo below is is just the start, but trust me, we pulled, hammered and dollied every bent lip we could find...

attachment.php

With the inner structure fairly straightened, we addressed the deformed hinge.

Both hinges, side by each...

attachment.php

One of these things is not like the other! The left hinge needs to match the right, so we need to "shrink" the left hinge. [S

We don't have a hinge shrinker, so we made a skinny little relief cut in effort to shorten the inside radius...

attachment.php

That worked as we hoped it would...

attachment.php

I welded the relief cut, we installed the hinges and bolted the lid back on to the car... success! The lid fits flush, or a touch under flush. It used to stand 1/4" - 5/16" high, so we're happy!

attachment.php

Attachments

• body40.jpg
    body40.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 55
  • body41.jpg
    body41.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 56
  • body42.jpg
    body42.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 54
  • body43.jpg
    body43.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 58
  • body39.jpg
    body39.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
nice work Doc. I`m always amazed by how much a panel changes by removing a bunch of small dings and wrinkles.
Good thing you cut the hinge... never ever let the iron win... ;):D

carry on... [cl[P

Thanks guys. :D

What is the style y'all are going for with this one Doc? You know these Chevy coupes make awesome taildraggers right? 🤞 :)

No taildragger, no chop, no airbags, no trashy billet trinkets. No big, stupid, ugly wheels with rubber band tires. No door poppers, no power windows, no bullship bling. No fancy, fruitcake, pearl, flip flop glow in the dark paint.

We're looking for a simple, clean, classic Hot Rod to drive on our rough streets and roads. It'll be plenty fast and fun. It'll probably never see a car show, that's not the purpose, so anything more is a waste of time and money!

Better a touch not enough than too much, you can always toss a shim in for alignment if required. [cl

Right. You can't cut it to make it longer and you can't shim it to make it shorter!

Thanks guys. :D

No taildragger, no chop, no airbags, no trashy billet trinkets. No big, stupid, ugly wheels with rubber band tires. No door poppers, no power windows, no bullship bling. No fancy, fruitcake, pearl, flip flop glow in the dark paint.

We're looking for a simple, clean, classic Hot Rod to drive on our rough streets and roads. It'll be plenty fast and fun. It'll probably never see a car show, that's not the purpose, so anything more is a waste of time and money!

Do you mean like this one.:eek: :cool:
My 1940 Chevy Coupe. Back when Torchie was a younger man.:eek: [ddd
Old Torchie.

Attachments

• 264749_194816593904462_5851189_n.jpg
    264749_194816593904462_5851189_n.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 57
Do you mean like this one.:eek: :cool:
My 1940 Chevy Coupe. Back when Torchie was a younger man.:eek: [ddd
Old Torchie.

attachment.php

old torchie had the math done on that one!

No taildragger, no chop, no airbags, no trashy billet trinkets. No big, stupid, ugly wheels with rubber band tires. No door poppers, no power windows, no bullship bling. No fancy, fruitcake, pearl, flip flop glow in the dark paint

yep, build what makes you happy and forget the opinions of guys who never will.

Thanks again, fellas.

I like your coupe, Torchie, complete with "the lean". :D

earthman: I don't mean to be a plick. (My apologies if it sounds that way.) The goal is a practical, sensible driver. Ground clearance is an issue in these parts and we might have some things hanging a touch too low already. :eek:

Thank You, earthman!

We're still messing with the trunk lid. We couldn't get the gaps even and eventually realized, we still have a hinge problem...

So, off with the lid. B-tard moved the hinges through their motions a number of times, while I stood back and eyeballed the situation... sure enough, the passenger side hinge doesn't hang or track quite straight...

We know both hinges are perfectly straight and identical, so we must have an issue where they mount to the body...

attachment.php

Driver side...

attachment.php

Passenger side...

attachment.php

The culprit, up close...

attachment.php

The pictures exaggerate the issue. The wrinkle is quite small and we worked it out quite easily, but the hinge still didn't align well.

We shimmed up a thick bar to replicate the hinge and bolted it tight into the body mount. We then used the bar as a lever and indicator. A couple small tweaks on the heavy bar "tool" provided the desired results. :D

All this nonsense may seem petty and insignificant, but it's become obvious to me, a sixteenth here and a sixteenth there make a big difference when fitting a panel of this size and shape.

We're creeping up to the perfect fit one small step at a time. Following good advice from many members here, we'll get it as right as we know how before we cut the tailpan out...

Attachments

• body trunk hinge - Copy.jpg
    body trunk hinge - Copy.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 78
  • body44.jpg
    body44.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 78
  • body45.jpg
    body45.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 76
  • body46.jpg
    body46.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 77
Still pickin' away when we have time. Settle in, this is gonna be a long one...

A few more hours fussing with the lid and it fits flush with nice, even gaps. (We'll get back to the skin later... much, much later.)

Next, we prepared for the ever popular butt surgery. First, some bracing...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Then the exploratory... this "panel" was nothing more than a loose flap of skin, pop-riveted, brazed, fiberglassed and heavily bondo'd to the emaciated, skeletal remains of the original panel and floor extension...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Almost done with the knife. We saved what was left of the original lower corners, expecting them to be useful in the future...

attachment.php

Last cut... trimmed off the remaining dingle-balls and scar tissue...

attachment.php

Still some brass to grind off on the left side.

Moving along, we tried the new floor extension, which is another EMS piece. It fits poorly, but we understand it's meant to fit their floor pans, not the original stuff. It does match their tailpan quite nicely, so it should work with some modification.

attachment.php

First mockup with the new tailpan...

attachment.php

Looks good from afar, but far from good. I've studied this piece for a couple hours and there are three glaring issues...

1) The gap around the lid.
2) The opening has a soft "rolled" edge, unlike the original, which is sharp and crisp.
3) The lower corners I spoke of earlier. They don't follow the same lines as the original corners and they're not symmetrical, either.

I guess they ship us lowly Canucks their rejects. [S

Before we make any changes to the crap pan, we thought it wise to mount the fenders... because the crap pan needs to align with them as well.

Driver side fender. We fought with it for ten minutes, put it down and thought... what's the problem, here? How many retards does it take to hang a fender?

We shared some animal crackers, drank a juice box and managed to wiggle a few bolts in... turns out the problem is physical. The fender is "bent", so we stripped it to find out why...

attachment.php

All peckered up with heavy hammer marks and a few good creases...on the positive, no rust, no holes, no rivets, patches or brass! I believe this fender was repaired a few times and on the car, because it fit well before the tear down. I also believe it's a donor, because it had several more layers of paint and primer than other areas we've stripped so far... anyhow, it needs some ironing to work out the pressure, straighten the bowed flange and close this 1/2" gap...

attachment.php

The passenger side fender fit quick and easy, like it should.

That's more than enough for this round!

Attachments

• body63.jpg
    body63.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 54
  • body62.jpg
    body62.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 52
  • body58.jpg
    body58.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 53
  • body55.jpg