Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Body... Talk & Q&A

Body... Talk & Q&A Top Chop, Channel & General Body Q&A

Old 08-13-2019, 11:50 PM

Here's a quote from the description blurb from one of the suppliers of the VW bumpers. I assume they are all made in the same Chinese "factory", whoever sells them. Even reads like Chinglish!

Billet Aluminum Front Bumper, Beetle, is the beautiful Billet Aluminum 3-RIb Bumper Blade. They are not designed for protection, but FOR LOOKS!

That implies they are not too strong, just what I need!

I doubt that they are "billet." More probably extruded.

I'm assuming these are pretty flimsy, worth a try you think?

BTW, I wrote to Briz about ribbed bumpers for the Volvo. They said to make a template on butcher paper and send it to them. I can imagine they wouldn't be cheap!

John in Prescott
Old 08-14-2019, 12:11 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I bet you can shape them any way you like if you stick them between a couple pieces 2x4
Old 08-14-2019, 09:52 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Could you make a wooden buck a little flatter than you're looking for, and carefully and slowly form the bumper to fit the buck? Accounting for a little bit of ductility in the steel, it should get you right about where you need to be.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:35 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I`d draw a crayon line on a flat floor and start bending. Using the floor gives you a good view on the curve you`re making.

Make sure the 2 posts you use to bend are 100% parallel or you will end up with a weird shape. for bending this soft alu I would use wood or nylon posts to bend over.
Use a marker to mark the center and mark the center of the shape drawn on the floor. Keep them lined up. Just work methodical one side from the center outward then the other side. Place 2 marks on both ends of where it needs to stretch or curve. I`ve shaped dozens and dozens of bars that way. Check what you did and Just take your time.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:51 AM

That's a good idea. One could just project a line down from the body to the floor using an "L" square. That would establish the curve. If one used butcher paper then would be able to transfer this line to a piece of thick wood to be used as a three dimensional pattern. Would have "male" and "Female" pieces and trap the bumper between them to see where the pressure needed to be applied. I agree it should be symmetrical.

Maybe we are just overthinking this whole thing. Time to start banging on metal.

I did check out a Bug today in a parking lot. The rear bumper seemed to have more of a curve than the front. Think I'll order two fronts.

John in Prescott Arizona
Old 08-16-2019, 07:24 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR View Post
Maybe we are just overthinking this whole thing.
Probably.

I'd expect the chinesium to be a soft alloy and easily "reformed" by whatever method you choose. I would proceed with confidence and caution. Aluminum "work hardens" quick, so you want to creep up on the desired profile...

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 08-17-2019, 11:00 AM

Another excuse to go to HF. appropriate to use a Chinese tool on Chinese parts.

Suspect I will find lots of use for this thing once I get it home. Looks like it will take a while to assemble. I like to put stuff together.

John in Prescott, AZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg press.JPG (48.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-17-2019, 12:45 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

so... you (tack) weld a couple 1", 6" long round bar or tubes to your bench , set them square and start bending by hand....
really ,that press wont be any help as the post are right where you want the bumper to rest.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:38 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch View Post
so... you (tack) weld a couple 1", 6" long round bar or tubes to your bench , set them square and start bending by hand....
really ,that press wont be any help as the post are right where you want the bumper to rest.
He'll probably need to make a jig that straddles the main beams, then bend between the points on it. Something like an H, with the top uprights being farther apart and shorter. Then you could press it flatter is short presses, kinda like reversing the eye on a leaf spring but not going a complete reverse, stopping when it gets as flat as he needs.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:55 PM

Keep those ideas coming, all input is welcome. Unfortunately, I don't have any welding equipment, yet. While I was still in Kalifornia I had my brother do all my welding. He's still there.

Might just obtain some aluminum stock and experiment. Unfortunately, the local scrap yard went out of business. Looks like another sacrafice to the gods of development. Probably will be an apartment complex someday.

John in Prescott, AZ