Batt tender

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exador

This is usually a late fall or early winter subject but felt this info might help others in this upcoming winter season.

I don`t know if anyone uses a batt tender or not. Last fall, winter was my 1st use.

I removed the batts from my 2 riding mowers. Charged both to full capacity. Brought both into storage room off my kitchen. Unheated but warmer than outside.

I made a wiring harness to use tender on both batts. I checked voltage after charge and after tender use all winter. There was less than a .10 difference in voltage on each batt.

So if you use a tender I think it will work keeping 2 batts topped off. As it worked on my 2 small mower batts I see no reason it should not work on 2 cars sized batts. I do think these are just a small trickle charge that is used as needed.

I use a solar charger in a old farm truck I have. I put the charger on the dash by the windshield . Keeps it charged up. About $15 at H/F

I have way more vehicles then battery's so my battery's usually don't get to sit over the winter. :D

This is usually a late fall or early winter subject but felt this info might help others in this upcoming winter season.

I don`t know if anyone uses a batt tender or not. Last fall, winter was my 1st use.

I removed the batts from my 2 riding mowers. Charged both to full capacity. Brought both into storage room off my kitchen. Unheated but warmer than outside.

I made a wiring harness to use tender on both batts. I checked voltage after charge and after tender use all winter. There was less than a .10 difference in voltage on each batt.

So if you use a tender I think it will work keeping 2 batts topped off. As it worked on my 2 small mower batts I see no reason it should not work on 2 cars sized batts. I do think these are just a small trickle charge that is used as needed.

I use my HF cheapies all the time....on my snow blower/JD lawn tractor and all the stuff around the barn....they have them on sale at times for like 6 bucks...work fine on conventional battery...don't think they will work at all on my optima...but I know they aren't supposed to work on them...but never tried it either...always thought about the solar but nothing is kept outside haven't tried it...

solar power

I use solar power to keep up my batteries. The best is a 3 watt. Not to big or to little.

I bring the six 8 Volt batteries in my golf cart home with me from Arizona and plug them all together on a 48 Volt battery minder. They're on it for 9 months in my shed - works fine. 9 months is too long to leave them in the AZ heat with no charge or water, especially @ $130.00 apiece.

I have two battery maintainers and keep them on 4 batteries I have sitting in the shop. I keep rotating them so all of the batteries stay up.

I have never used a tender on my 27 and since I am freshening up the car I decided to put a new battery in it. The old one was still working great and even if the car sat for months it would crank right over, but I wanted to be safe, so it is going away.

I was surprised to see the date sticker on it was June of 09, which made that battery 6 years old. In Florida that is extremely rare, if we get 3 years out of a battery we are doing good.

Don

The battery in the 33 is an Optima red top and is 9 years old. It hasn't ever been on a tender so, When I get another, I'll use a tender and see how long it lasts :)
Ya know the ole saying, once you say something about it you'll have trouble [ddd

I like Battery tenders

Every winter my race car and dually go into storage for 6 mo.
I pull the batterys and alternate every few weeks with the tender and it works very well,
It saves me money not having to replace them every couple years.
When I was in texas I used a solar panel charger , Put the battery from the race car on my apartment balcony hooked up the solar panel. it was about 5"x5" and forgot about it till spring. The battery was always fully charged

Finally had to buy my daughter one for her '78 Beetle ragtop. She's a Realtor & doesn't drive the Beetle that much but always used to complain when the battery was run down but never got around to buying a tender herself. Now she never has to worry about it anymore! :D

BoB

Kids.....

Finally had to buy my daughter one for her '78 Beetle ragtop. She's a Realtor & doesn't drive the Beetle that much but always used to complain when the battery was run down but never got around to buying a tender herself. Now she never has to worry about it anymore! :D

BoB

When do parents get a break from lookin after them?? LOL.

Latest posts

Back