Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Questions/Suggestions

Questions/Suggestions Questions or suggestions about the forum... don't be shy!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 PM

Default body work

alright folks. i'm new to this scene and i really like it. in my short past it has always been about the engine and trans and so forth. but now i'm really getting interested in the body work of it all. i want to know where everyone got their experience.
how do i get started in all of this? i just read a complete thread from trippers build and i'm getting very anxious to start something of my own!
woodward is calling my name!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Older and more rusted every day!

Default Just do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opizio View Post
i want to know where everyone got their experience.
O,
One of my Dad's bud's owned a body shop... he specialized in trucks. Plus, there are plenty of articles on how to in mags & on-line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opizio View Post
how do i get started in all of this?
It's nothin' 2 b afraid of... just do it!!! U'll learn form u're mistakes rat quick & there r plenty of folks here willin' 2 offer advice if u need it!!! ; - >

BoB

RRR on Facebook
RRR on Twitter
Wanted: Ratty '35 Olds coupe!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 PM

thanks tripper, i REALLY like the work your doing on your build. can't wait to see it finished.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:34 PM

My pop turned wrenches and the genes were passed on... by passed on I mean that from the time I could hold a wrench I was under the car with my Dad.

Other than that it was kind of learn as you go. I read a lot and then try a lot, yell alot, kick things a lot then go back to work and try again. Once its figured out it is much easier to repeat.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Of the entire build process, I hate bodywork the most. It's dirty, smelly, backbreaking work and you end up with no fingerprints due to all the hand sanding. Probably why I will never build a full bodied custom, hot rods have a lot less body to deal with.

Don
Old 03-29-2008, 09:53 PM

Default fun

gee I spent 4 mo on the body on my A and it dont look much different than when i started, now its primered instead of rust patina, GOLLY THAT WAS A LOT OF FUN
well at least i am fitting parts now, sometimes it seems like I am acomplishing sumpting!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 10:22 PM

i'm just curious guys. i'm going to be pretty much teaching myself everything when i actually get the project and start it.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:02 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

You will find that most of us who are doing this are a "little" beyond our teens.......some of us (me ) are WELL beyond our teens. Point is, we have been doing it for a long time and have made every mistake in the book. We have broken stuff, spent money twice or three times to redo something, hurt ourselves, and generally screwed up lots of nice cars along the way. But, we learned something each time we made those mistakes.

We also learned by watching and listening to others and asking lots of questions. I wish these forums would have been around when I started playing with this stuff, it sure could have saved me a lot of grief and money. The internet for all of it's problems is a fantastic resource for information.

But I offer you the same advice I have mentioned to others in a similar starting out mode............buy someone elses abandoned or running project and make it your own. You have such a better chance of succeeding and not getting discouraged if you don't start from scratch the very first time. Building a car from drawings on the garage floor is not one of the easiest things a person can undertake. You have to be a Designer, Engineer, Welder, Fabricator, Mechanic, Electrician, Parts Orderer, and lots of other jobs all rolled into one person.............YOU. No one EVER gets out of a car the money they spent to build it, so you can find lots of unwanted projects or running cars for pennies on the dollar, and if you are wise in your purchase you will find one that is well built and only needs your personal touches.

Just a thought.

Don
Old 04-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Can't leave well enough alone!

Well said Don!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Older and more rusted every day!

Default Hot Rod!

O,
I think the new Hot Rod has some good tips on body work & especially on tools to use. Ck it... it's on news stands now!

BoB

RRR on Facebook
RRR on Twitter
Wanted: Ratty '35 Olds coupe!