Title a vehicle with no serial

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swflrat

Currently residing in Florida and purchased a vehicle in my old state of Minnesota. Vehicle is believe to be a 1932 Rockne, but come to find out the serial is on the chassis and there's no chassis just a cab I'm using for a rat project. Well I'm deciding if I should get it Titled in Minnesota as i can just have my brother do it there in his name or do it here in Florida which I heard can be somewhat of a hassle. Either way let me know which would be the wise route in this situation. also the person i purchased the vehicle from is willing to help me out in getting it titled again, in either state. Thanks in advance.

:D I'll chime in.
You want to do this in the state that is easiest for you. If your brother can get it done and you can transfer it to your name then by all means do it.
Don't put money into a project until you have a title in hand. It can and will turn into a nightmare.

i had to go with a homebuilt title
which means it is a new car.
so my 27 chevy is legally a 2012 vehicle.

Title in Mn

If the car is in Mn ya got a shot at it , to get a title here the vehicle will need to be inspected for a VIN if you have no title a VIN will be needed ... if it dose not exist .
you can ask the state to issue you one (blue VIN ) and you take the vehicle to the local
drivers lic. station to have it attached by ..they're the only people who can rivet it on the body . What I'm saying is you can get it titled in MN but its not just a matter of filling out some forms & mailing them in with a few dollars .
It can be done I titled my 47 Willys & all I had was a bill of sale but there are a bunch of hoops to jump through & the vehicle has to physically be here in the state .

The car is in Minnesota its at my brothers house in Erskine, MN so it will be getting done there. There is no chassis on this car just a cab with no serial numbers anywhere just the old patent tag. I also have the Statement of Facts and a bill of sale so from what the lady at the DMV is telling me I need that filled out and a picture of 4 sides. Now if i can just get my lazy ass brother to get this done for me so I can get up there and start working on it.

Last edited:
I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time )but I'm thinking you would need a frame of some kind otherwise you'd be trying to only title the cab not a compete vehicle . Who cares what the frame is ... ya can always remove the cab after you get the blue vin issued ... & the title shows up.
If it was me I'd set the cab on some kind of frame & running gear ... take some photos ... fill out the paper work ... keep any & all rects. ... & wait for the state to respond (about 6 wks ) or talk to your contact at the dvm & ask for the supervisor she talks to (it might speed things along if ya talk to that supervisor) . I wish I would've ..... would of prevented a few of the waitin for the state to respond .
Good luck & happy waitin ...[cl

Also got a Declaration of Reconstruction/Special Assembly basically wanting to know where everything came from with receipts and then inspected. Same piece of paper need after you rebuild a salvaged vehicle there. been through that process many times up there.

You're on the right track , same as rebuilding a salvaged vehicle ...don't forget the safety inspection ..lights , brakes, wiper, ect. every things gotta work ...but I've also heard of people doing a mock up ... setting body on frame ,frt fenders etc. take photos & using a friendly dmv office ...not one located in a larger city ( the one in Rochester will really run ya through the hoops)... how they got around the safety inspection I can't tell ya ....good luck happy waiting ..[cl ..

title info

Some states will issue a title only document, then when you are ready to drive it do the other half of the paper work. safety. lights. etc before they issue plates

Ya I'm not sure about vehicle not running ...mine was in running shape ...
I was told it would not be possible without the safety inspection .
Here's a little info for ya ....safety inspection says it must be done by a "certified garage inspection facility" ...translation any reputable garage/repair shop in business ....this is after talking to the drivers lic., state highway patrol & the dmv. (remember what I said about talking to a supervisor at the dmv ?) ...down I go to local garage he fills it out & staples his business card to it & good to go . Also another hurtle ... ask the supervisor
about the State issuing a ..BLUE VIN ...to your vehicle ....I had to request the State to issue a new VIN with a reason why it was needed ....there are people at the DMV that will try to help ya ...(talk to that supervisor) they know the path through the haunter forest !![cl..[cl

in the past

in Ohio Trk without tittle. Old 47 jeep trk no tittle. A friend used a cj body for a transplant on to ??? Gave me the old tittle. I transferred tittle and told them it was a flat bed and I changed it to a pickup. Bingo stamped "BODY CHANGE" no inspections.

Don't know about you guys but I'll bet I know at least a dozen or so guys running with titles for the running & frame stuff not the body .... always wonder what happens if the cop gets curious ????:confused:..[S

Nope ..only have to be what the vehicle had at time of manufacture ....
so no seat belts before 64 ..no turn signals before 50 ???..think ya only need one tail light
lh ???? brake light ????h/ls I would think ... pretty basic stuff ..[cl ...;) ..

Latest posts

Back