Good abrasive glass cleaner?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

The back window in the hatch I put on the Firebird has something on it. I dunno what it is, clear paint overspray, some kind of chemical, acid, just don't know. It's like it is dirty, kinda fogged up looking. I tried Windex, it just laughed at it. Tried scraping with a razor blade scraper, I could get just a little residue, but it still looks foggy in places, and it doesn't feel smooth like glass should, you can feel it's got something there, but what ,I don't know. It's not on the whole glass, but about the rear third extending to the edge. Wondering what might be good to try, Comet, Bon Ami, SOS pad? Maybe a scotchbrite pad on my variable speed drill? All wet, of course. I don't want to scratch it, but clean it good.

Any ideas?

I use this...a lot.

not sure if it`s available in the states tho... Main purpose is hand polish weathered paint.

Attachments

• commandant.jpg
    commandant.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 22
I use glass cleaner and 0000 steel wool. seems to work good on what i have used it on

If windex doesn't loosen it, it's probably not water soluble. Try brake parts cleaner, the cheap Wal-mart brand, that stuff takes off about anything.

The lower corners of my rear window were cloudy from leaves and dirt laying on it for years. My wife gave me a Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser" and it worked pretty good to clean it up.

Gary

that residue is from the minerals in the rain water, best thing ever for removing it and leaving great sealer coat on the glass is "Soft Scrub". it happens when the glass gets hot from the Sun and you get a sudden cold rain, it etches the surface.

like real fine tooth paste in a squeeze bottle, it works best on cool, dry glass, take a sponge and get it damp, not sloppy wet. Squeeze out a " 5 inch snake of Soft Scrub on the sponge, and working on a small area, like a 10" square, rub in circles until the "SS" dries to the glass. do the whole window like that.

when done rinse the window using the sponge and cold water, it will leave behind a sealer coat much like Rain-X.

I've used it often, we get a lot of little squalls, always right after a car wash of course.

jewelers rouge and a buffer with a cotton wheel. small spots and try not to get the glass to hot. seen it done but never did it myself, but it made a big difference in what i saw.

When I worked at a body shop, we cleaned every window on every car leaving with 000 fine steel wool. It removed overspray, scratches, etc. You would think it would scratch glass, but it is so fine it doesn't.

Well, finally got around to trying the AJAX, it laughed at that, too. Can't find any steel wool, so gonna try a SOS pad next, that is if I have one. Hard to find anything you need right now, damn hoarders!

I never did get that glass clean. Tried steel wool, Ajax, SOS pads, Soft Scrub, brake cleaner, every thing I could think of. Get it wet, it's clear as a bell, when it dries, the haze returns.:mad:

Think I'm just going to buy a louver and cover it up. At least it won't be noticeable that way.

I never did get that glass clean. Tried steel wool, Ajax, SOS pads, Soft Scrub, brake cleaner, every thing I could think of. Get it wet, it's clear as a bell, when it dries, the haze returns.:mad:

Think I'm just going to buy a louver and cover it up. At least it won't be noticeable that way.

Could it be from an old tint job? Have you tried something like Goo be gone? If it's old tint that's been removed, more than likely it's residual glue.

Could it be from an old tint job? Have you tried something like Goo be gone? If it's old tint that's been removed, more than likely it's residual glue.

It’s on the outside. Wet it, and it disappears. I think it must be some kind of chemical staining. I got the car from a house directly across the road from a steel mill, so maybe it’s some kind of acid rain fallout from the mill?

I’m going to get some CLR and try it, can’t hurt. It ****es me off that I didn’t notice it when I bought it, I just thought it was dirty.

It's likely that what you are dealing with is the surface of the glass is etched from whatever was sitting on it like chemical fallout as you have surmised.
You may be able to polish it out with a compound designed to polish glass and a drill mounted buffing pad. Glass polishing is slow work, so don't expect it to be cured on the first pass, it'll take time and patience..........

The lower corners of my rear window were like that, from leaves rotting, I'm guessing. I tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pad and it worked pretty good.

Gary

Latest posts

Back