vinegar rust removal

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

24dodge

One of the Dodge brothers
learned a new trick I thought I would share , if you get any steel parts that are rusted and hard to clean with a wire brush or wheel , throw them in a container and cover them in apple cider vinegar (the yellow stuff) and put the lid on , takes 1-2 days but the parts come out like brand new.

Thanks for the tip 24d. I've got just the thing I want to try that on, some plug wire covers for a pair of Chrysler valve covers I have. Do you use it full strength?

It is a pretty weak acid, I think 7% or something like that, it should work fine full strength. Just rinse it well after you are done.

Even Stronger

I use Mauradic Acid (green pool acid) threw something a container half acid half water and in about 2-3 hours presto brand new....warning dont put any thing in thats pot metal.....it will disapear. I could have sworn I put 2 sets of GTO hood scoops in there? :p
But Tripper dont worry I only use the acid to pre clean things that arn't going to be visable on the cars....I leave the beutiful mother natures paint job just the way it is :)

Sometimes you must bust the rust!

I tried the Apple Cider Vinegar on some headlight parts. It worked great on the rim screws and bulb socket. I left the parts in for two days, then I gave them a quick rinse with water and dried them with a paper towel. Good as new! well not new, but rust free! :D The vinegar was black! Thanks for the tip.

Thunder1

"Aspire to inspire before you expire"

Probably, remember that it is an acid, and is removing a small amount of material, if you did it enough, your bearings would be loose on the spindles, but it would take a while.

Just read this thread for the first time tonight. I`m gonna use this tip right away. Thread also has great entertainment value, laughed my a$$ off! Iwas just wondering if the question was "how many times you could use it to remove rust, or how many times you could use it to make pickles"??:D:D

Latest posts

Back