49 chevy truck booger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedoh

I bought this truck last year out of clearwater ks, it is a flatbed 3600
IMG_8158.jpeg

it has a pretty good body but someone shot it a few times and the bullet holes let water in, the floors are toast.
IMG_4877.jpeg

IMG_9429.jpg

picked up some long running boards for a 1/2 ton shortbed
IMG_1325-2.jpeg

wake up early if you want the deals, this bed was listed 20 minutes before I called and an hour before I paid. green matches!
IMG_8656.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

bought this 03 with 77k for the frame and drivetrain. it had been partially parted out but had the parts I wanted
IMG_9215.jpg

unfortunately the frame was bent.
IMG_9228.JPG.jpeg

so I chopped it up and took what I wanted
IMG_9362.jpg

IMG_9357.jpg

a long time friend was selling a long bed frame with paperwork a couple towns away. tow companies wanted a lot of money based on the two towns away thing, even though it wasnt really that far. $150 to tow a rolling frame really offended my sensibility. I hit harbor freight on a sale day with a 20% coupon and got a nice enough tow bar. a drill bit let me hook up and a ratchet strap kept the wheels straight.
IMG_9314.jpg

IMG_9316.jpg

a cherry picker picked up the front and my brother in laws picked up the back
IMG_9310.jpg

and
IMG_9324.jpg

chopped up the old frame, I had been advertising it for $100 or any offer for weeks, not a single bite.
IMG_9327.jpg

IMG_9329.jpg

parts came in the meantime, new glass, seals, floorpans, toe boards, radiator, trans cooler, more. I have parted out a couple s10s and blazers so I figure I have everything I need right now, and bowtie bits is here in town for everything I will need later.

I am cleaning out the garage from the remodel/addition we did to our midcentury modern home, added 850 sq ft, including an office, 2 bathrooms, a laundry room and a full 600sqft basement underneath. I will put the 49 in the garage maybe this weekend, then its party time.

I think you have found every possible use for an S10...Lol
I'm in...[P

I think you have found every possible use for an S10...Lol
I'm in...[P

not yet! although the number of people angry about the 65 was large. it instantly polarized people when they saw the 2.2l EFI engine, some could not get past the "its only an s10" mentality".

I have a 91 s10 longbed and a 1998 s10 blazer in the driveway for the next two swaps after this. I will see what other weird stuff I can come up with. :)

To be honest, it didn't appeal to me to have a S10 under the 65. jmho
I feel that you should do it the way you want :)
There's no right or wrong way to do anything just different ways.
I really like the way you raised the wheel wells in the front to accommodate the clearance issues [cl
The 65 looks great :cool:

not yet! although the number of people angry about the 65 was large. it instantly polarized people when they saw the 2.2l EFI engine, some could not get past the "its only an s10" mentality".

I have a 91 s10 longbed and a 1998 s10 blazer in the driveway for the next two swaps after this. I will see what other weird stuff I can come up with. :)

Personally I think the 65 is bitchin'. In my experience the naysayers aren't doing anything but judging anyways. Do what you do and keep us posted ;) [;)

To be honest, it didn't appeal to me to have a S10 under the 65. jmho
I feel that you should do it the way you want :)

thanks, I agree. I feel like if someone doesnt like it, they shouldnt pay for it. If they didnt pay for it and still dont like it, well, that is a problem which solves itself, isnt it?

Undercover, you would be surprised how many times I heard "what I would have done is..." mostly it was just a regurgitation of current trends, bolt in crossmembers, and LS talk that all started with buckets of money. I used what was readily available and cheap. the s10 had a bent body and the 65 a bent frame. I sold what could be reused and recycled the rest.

I like everything about the 65 including the fab work...I would not hesitate to swap in an Ecotec 4 cylinder with a turbo just to really **** off everyone!Lol[cl

I looked at the ecotech, the only rwd trans is the solstice/sky, pretty pricey. I really like the sound of a twin cam engine though. maybe another time.

Great build going. I'm a little confused what long running boards from a shortbed means?? And dude, you need a trailer, how do you do all that without one? But then I'm a trailer whore, got 4 of them and new axles and iron in the yard for a 22 foot steel deck tilt bed build

if you look at the original picture of the truck it only had half running boards so I'm guessing he means he bought some full (long) running boards for a short bed

if you look at the original picture of the truck it only had half running boards so I'm guessing he means he bought some full (long) running boards for a short bed

exactly right. the flatbed truck is a long bed and has running boards that stop at the back of the cab, but to put the shortbed on I needed a set of shortbed running boards with the aprons which are much longer to meet the rear fender

the new bed had half the running boards, the owner had CUT THEM IN HALF. we used those on a 47 gmc which also had flatbed running boards. a local guy kyle who did all the body mounting on the 47 spliced the two together. he did a really nice job I think.
IMG_0368.jpg

having a trailer also requires having something to haul it with. I debate with my brother a lot about the economics of having a tow vehicle that just sits around until you use it, I spent ~300 in tows last year (towed 5 times + the tow bar) and I bet insurance and tags on even the cheapest tow vehicle is more than that. However my argument is now moot, my wifes dad died in July and left her (really us, really me) his 2500HD flatbed. It gets 12mpg and I can never sell it, but it sure is nice to have around to pick stuff up. I used to cram parts in a honda pilot haha

I looked at the ecotech, the only rwd trans is the solstice/sky, pretty pricey. I really like the sound of a twin cam engine though. maybe another time.

They make adapters now to put your S10 5 speed behind them...:D

really? how much?

though, the adapter and engine cost... thats a pricey way to make a point. the saturn twin cam is a great motor though, I would love to have it in a truck.. something to consider when I run out of 4.3 donor trucks haha.

Latest posts

Back