(no title) build--46 ford pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FROG_PONDS

I have a question about my build without a title. I live in Pa. and I do understand how I can get a title in Pa. with a 48 and older vehicle thru the dmv and an enhanced inspection station. My question is would it be easer to try to find a clear title and use that for my build. I herd that some junk yards may have old titles for sale. Rich:

Although lots of people find and use "historic documents" to title a car, it is always best to keep thing on the right side of the law. Some states have outlawed the practice. If you have a clear path to a legal title, I would pursue that before spending a bunch of money.

Good luck with your build.

Now I am one that didn't follow my own advice, and am almost ready to tale my completed project to the DMV. I am a bit nervous.

I figure the numbers would have to match, paper and steel. So, how to do that without some questionable doings? [S You don't have to answer that here ....

If you have a legal way, I'd do it. Less chances of headaches later on...

If you have no intentions on ever selling it, i myself, wouldnt think twice about buying a title, I've done it. But if you ever plan on selling it, I'd go through the dmv, inspections and whatnot. You don't want to lose sleep thinking about what if?

I abandoned a nice car once because i couldnt title it.
From now on i dont do ANYTHING without the legal paper in hand.
I hope it works for you

I have bought and sold titles years ago. The state found and and had a pow-wow, then decided I should stop and surrender the rest of the titles, which I did.
I doubt if there is a state in which swapping titles on a vehicle is legal.
If a car I get doesn't have a good title, I consider it a parts vehicle. If I really like it, I use a bonded towing company to do the title work.

There are a few states like AL and Ga where you don't have to have a title on anything over 35 years old. Sure makes it easier to build an old vehicle that has been abandoned for years.

It is chancy to us a different title than the one for that vehicle.
There's a lawyer here that will get a clean title for their customers for $350.
Maybe there's one around you ;)

I'd pay $350 to a lawyer for a title. It would be worth a shot to thumb through the phonebook and just ask them all.

Good question WB. I have heard some states will accept a notarized bill of sale from one of those states as proof of ownership. We didn't get titles until 1975, now it's a rolling 35 years, older than 35 years, no title required, even if you have a clear one, AL won't issue a new one.

be careful with the vermont title thing, some states allow sales on bill of sale, and some states dont require inspection on vehicles older than 1950, kansas is that way. but kansas also verifies the VIN of every vehicle bought out of state, regardless of year. so it may not solve your problem if your state is like mine.

here the difference between a nice truck with no title and a basket case with a title is THOUSANDS of dollars, on the side of the basket case. not trying to be a debbie downer, I have run this gauntlet more than once and the thing I have learned is that you can replace everything but the paper.

Latest posts

Back