48 Austin PU - Gasser ??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should have seen the "safe" removal of the coil springs under tension. The exercise included the use of impact guns, 3 ton jacks and some "oh ****" use of tools at an arm's length distance. As if that would have saved us. In the end we survived and no-one lost a limb. Actually mildly disappointed we didn't bounce one off the floor into the ceiling. You know - for the story and to give the garage some character.

Next weekend the cab is coming off and that drive-train is coming out... Whether it wants to or not... If I don't have the correct wrenches then a cutting torch and the previously mentioned stack of cutting discs will come into play. The next project will be to zip off anything we will not use on the frame and then look at what I want to do to narrow the rear frame section. I want to put wider tires on the back but I don't want them sticking out like outriggers.

The more this thing comes apart the more I'm happy with it. When we pulled the fenders off I expected to see some rot in the water puddling areas... there was none, nothing, zip... no rot at all. Just primered metal. Soooo happy with this so far.

Austin trucks are such cool little things> I know you will do a great job on it. Nice to get it apart without a visit to the ER.

I seem to have taken on the motto that it isn't a real project until I've bled on it and I've set myself on fire... something I do with alarming regularity. So far so good. No blood no smoke... (Touch wood, snap 3 times...)

If you didn't need to re-use the coils, my attack at coils under pressure would have been a torch tip. You would only need to heat it up enough to take the temper from one coil, it would collapse and take some tension off...

Latest posts

Back