What to do??????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyster36

I've recently picked up a 36 Ford truck project. Looking to build a bobber. Numbers on the frame match the title. My question, do you use this frame or start from scratch. Frame needs a little repair at the rear. I'll build it low

Builds are done both ways on the frame deal.
Since the frame matches your title I for one would use the factory frame and modify it to what I wanted preserving the numbers on it.

Hello Tyster. I'm excited to hear that you're going to start a '36. We will need pictures, though.
A couple of thoughts: Some states will want to register your frame for your licence; so find out what your registration office wants so they give you slightly less hassle when you try to get your licence plates.
I set my '36 on an '87 Ranger frame. [36 Ford on Ranger] It worked pretty good for me but I used a full length box. The back spring is longer on a Ranger so the hump up in the frame is further forward and the back hanger is right at the back end of the frame. A bobber box wouldn't fit over that length of raised frame. Also, if you're going to put a flathead motor in the Ranger frame, the steering box is where one motor mount should be, so you get to use your imagination a wee bit there. Stuffing a SBC in there would be easier but I don't recommend that, as that would be ---- just Yuccy.

a>

I built a '36 on a modified stock chassis about 10 years ago. It was heavy on the fab end but came out pretty good. Last I heard it's in California still getting hammered on. If there was a photo sharing service worth a crap anymore I would try to post a couple pics...

I like the looks of stock frames better than basic rectangular tubing. Stock frames are best boxed and they are very prone to being completely rusted away under the sandwiched part where the X rivets in. By the time you box, fill holes and repair a stock frame, you could probably build a custum one.

I've built several frames, but I'm really, liking the front section of the original. My frame has some rust issues in the rear.

What ever makes you DMV happy will make you happy. As mentioned, check it out then go with the stocker. IMHO
Good luck with it, your parts stash looks very nice. [cl

Use the front part of the frame and use 2x3 or 2x4 rectangle tubing for the part from the cowl back that doesn't show.

Latest posts

Back