Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R Tires

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darksyde

Looking for tires for the front of my ride. I mocked up the car with old 17" ford wire wheels with 5.25/5.50 x 17 tires.
The rims are badly rusted and I dont feel comfortable using them. Also I want to go to radials all around. I'm thinking of getting the Sportsman S/R 28x6.0015lt. on some basic steel rims. Wondering if anyone on here has used these tires with this sizing. That seems like a large sidewall at 6.5"

I have no experience with either tire... but, I've compared the two and the difference in sidewall height is roughly .75". (Clearly, both examples are quite tall in sidewall height.)

Generally speaking, a radial will outperform a bias tire. What's your concern, Darksyde? Aesthetics?

My concern with height is the roll on the tire. My concern with staying with bias is I want to run similar tires on all four corners. Dont want to run bias in front, radials in back. I'm looking to put the MT's on the back as well as its the only street tire I can find in that size that is a street tire and not a street drag tire.

OK.

The S/R tire is rated for 1040 lbs and a bias-ply of similar dimensions is rated much the same.

I cruised through you build thread and I highly doubt you'll have 2080 lbs on the front tires... the whole enchilada, soaking wet, with you and a fat passenger in it, can't weight more than 3000 lbs, huh?

My point is, I doubt you'll come anywhere close to the weight rating of either tire and therefore, quite unlikely to see a problem with "rolling" the radial. It's more likely, in my opinion, you'll have a fairly stiff tire slipping and scrubbing in a tight turn, possibly exaggerated by your wheelbase...

Ya I've read some other reviews and sounds like that's the consensus. I have to remind myself its not going to be a autocross machine either. Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated. Sometimes i tend to overthink things.
I did go ahead and order them, cant wait to see how they fit.

Latest posts

Back