Guess I got the bug....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the rear will rise slightly when airing up the bags. Taking the shocks loose isnt a bad idea really, but it isnt a permanent solution. I'm sure when it tries to rebound it's hitting the shocks like a hammer since they are already at or near full extension. Poor design by the installer without a doubt.

I bet that is what's happening. I'd take them loose and try it. If it works relocate them. Easy enough

MF is right if the shocks are not centered in the suspension travel you will have no suspension. There is one other big problem with the way the rear suspension is built. I don't see a pan hard bar on the rear end, which means, with the rear halves of the leaf springs cut off, all the side / centering loads to keep the diff centered under the frame are on the U-bolts. This will be okay for a while but with the leverage it has they will eventually loosen, allowing side to side movement.

Just my two cents

Last edited:
I agree with the guys here.. should ride pretty good.. and pressure in the bags has a lot to do with it BUT also the pressure you are running in the tires. The trick with using the big truck parts when building these is the tires are generally super overkill, I have 6 or 8 ply tires out back on mine, and end up keeping the pressure in the tires pretty low. (mine are tubed) so not an apples to apples comparison.

I too would relocate the shocks, cause the way I see that suspension is the leafs are just acting as links, all the load carrying and suspension is in the bag.

I do agree a panhard bar or a watts link would be a good idea. I did a panhard and wish I had done watts.. due to the suspension travel.

Have you seen my truck? its also a former big truck... but still retaining the old big truck parts, its on air all the way around. it rides pretty damn good...

CORPO, I never thought about the tire pressure! That could be a good thing to play with also! X3 on the Panhard bar also.

If you haven't seen CORPO's truck you need to. Its awesome!!![cl

Took the shocks loose this morning and it does ride much better. The way the bags were engineered it has the shocks topped out in their travel. The easy fix would be to find some shocks that have around 26" extended capability so that installed in the factory locations they would run in the middle of the shocks travel range. Btw, there is a panhard bar installed already. I have the tires lowered to 60psi already...not taking them any lower than that.

I wonder... if you let the Cummins eat, will it "axle wrap" on those half springs?

Tire pressure: You could air the inners down to 50 or 40 and leave the outers @60... let the outers carry the "load" and the inners are just along for the ride. I've done this with dual wheels and tandem axle trailers, where the tire and axle capacities far exceeds the load. (Try it at your discretion. I've had lumber wagon to Cadillac results, especially with tandem axle trailers.)

Shocks taken loose at the top this morning...I have since removed them completely. Marked improvement in ride quality even with the lack of bounce control of the shocks.

1947%20Rat%20Rod%20001%205_zps4ogp4h4y.jpg

Gotta love going behind someone. "Let's see...I can't find the nut so I think I will just weld the washer on the stud".

1947%20Rat%20Rod%20004%203_zpskkoii41a.jpg

Oh yeah, one of my all time favorites..."I believe I will insert the bolt from the wrong side during assembly...this shock will never have to be removed again, right?" Always fun cutting a factory hardened bolt.

1947%20Rat%20Rod%20005%203_zpsypn3qhum.jpg

Picture of one of the Landrum springs I had mentioned earlier. The ultimate goal is to see leafs and shocks back on the truck and put those air bags in the trash bin.

1947%20Rat%20Rod%20006%203_zpscgob6wze.jpg

Well that's good, you should look at buying a 4-link set up for it. Whether it be a parallel with a panhard bar or a true triangulated 4 Link. You can get Universal kids pretty inexpensive and I bet it would be less work then redoing the back half of the frame. Just an option glad it's getting better

Ok folks...bet you all thought this one had been abandoned. Been working my butt off to get the new shop built and I finally have the beast inside. I retired August 2 and have plenty of time now to work on it...lots of time, just not lots of money lol.

DSC05411_zpsuqpgmplz.jpg

DSC05412_zpsvvuupfqw.jpg

DSC05413_zps7qdw0s8v.jpg

I have a TIG welder ordered and due in this week. A plasma cutter won't be far behind. Still uncertain which route to take to get this thing where it will ride better. I have a 11 gallon air tank to covert into a fuel tank and I want to build a better battery box with easier access. Definitely still fabricating the flat bed. Once the back of the truck is in shape I will turn my eye towards the interior...really needs to be completely re-wired.

shop%20photos%20008_zps8c4bgne6.jpg

Why are the images so huge???

Attachments

• DSC05411.jpg
    DSC05411.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC05412.jpg
    DSC05412.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC05413.jpg
    DSC05413.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I have everything figured out in my head with the exception of the battery box. Choices of location is severely limited and I absolutely do not want it in the bed.

Latest posts

Back