Scratch Building a Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
photos again

Attachments

• HPIM6086.jpg
    HPIM6086.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 32
  • HPIM6084.jpg
    HPIM6084.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 30
One snap shot shows what the head lamps will look like with the empty space filled in with sheet metal,between the lamp and the signal. I like this much better Ill just paint them the same color as the car.

yes french them in as well as the number plate box. The bread pans make a nice outline for body filler. My last hot rod had tuna fish cans around Honda motor cycle signal lights they looked kool.

How do you come up with this stuff....tuna Cans???

You for real are the father of invention...can't say i've heard of anyone using tuna cans.... as I've said before...you never cease to amaze me...EVER...[cl

As I remember i had to go to my neihbors house to ask if they could look through their cabinets for a steel can of tuna instead of aluminium can. As I brazed everything back then. They did have one and I traded them for my aluminium can of Tuna. Then I had 2 of the same size and material to do the lights. I once used Zerox Antifreeze cans to install 57 ford tail lights onto a Ford pickup back in the 1960s, for a freind. (long time ago)

I fabricated some head lamp brackets today. I had to do a bit of machining to get a cup type recess to adjust the head lamps by loosening the bottom nut that holds them tight. I figure it was around a 35 degree or near enough to do the job. I used scraps from my pile as I dont have any more cash for metal right now. I ended up using some one inch tubing 2 each that was not long enough to do the job. So I spliced apiece of 1 inch square tube to the ends of the round tube to make up the difference in length.I found some left over angle irons the right size to cover the ends on the frame horns protruding from the fenders.. I had previously drilled and tapped 2 7/16ths threaded holes on the faces of each horn when i built the frame. I always thought I would use these for head lamps of some kind. I also mounted my other rear tail /brake lights bread pan and I had to shim one side of the bread pan because the valance had a slight angle towards the outside. 6 washers corrected this tip. They will be covered with body filler when finished. I have one head lamp bracket done but not welded yet and the other side has been started. I felt a lot better today. Ill do more tomorrow. have some snaps

Attachments

• HPIM6096.jpg
    HPIM6096.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 42
  • HPIM6095.jpg
    HPIM6095.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 38
  • HPIM6089.jpg
    HPIM6089.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 57
  • HPIM6097.jpg
    HPIM6097.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 45
  • HPIM6087.jpg
    HPIM6087.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 49
  • HPIM6092.jpg
    HPIM6092.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 39
  • HPIM6093.jpg
    HPIM6093.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 44
  • HPIM6094.jpg
    HPIM6094.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I spent most of the day fabricating and assembling head lamp brackets and installing the head lamps on the front fenders. I scrounged up enough scraps to get the job done now i have to wire them in I can get a factory harness with the 4 plug 2 female ,2 male connectors for the snow plow head lamps. If not I will cut the harness and splice into the cord. I also have room on these brackets for another downward piece to hold a light weight front bumper which my state wants for Road worthiness and inspections.. I can bend one from round tubing down the road. I have a few more L brackets to make and attach for better strength of the brackets. That was my day not a fast paced one but I accomplished the front lights. The next thing is to see them work, hehehe. The angle adjusters work well by loosening one nut and adjusting the lamps angle. I'm please with the looks of them for $25.00 dollars. The rectangle lamps match all the other rectangles I have incorporated in this car. I had a choice of round lamps also but decided not to go that route as they would not match up to my design. got some snaps

Attachments

• HPIM6098.jpg
    HPIM6098.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 23
  • HPIM6091.jpg
    HPIM6091.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 24
  • HPIM6097.jpg
    HPIM6097.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 26
  • HPIM6106.jpg
    HPIM6106.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 101
  • HPIM6103.jpg
    HPIM6103.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 48
  • HPIM6100.jpg
    HPIM6100.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 31
  • HPIM6101.jpg
    HPIM6101.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 28
I looked around and could not find a 4 way plug to match the head lamp harness. So I bough 2 pacts of push terminals male and female and I will tap in to the harness this way. These head lamps are older than the newer ones I was told. no big deal the lamps are going to be permanent anyway. I will shrink tube the joints.

hey Guys, I need some help what do you fellas use on aluminium corrosion , ( the white fluff) my snow plow head lamps are corroded inside the housing. anybody who knows or has used something that works Thanks...

I have a grill in mind with 1/4 inch aluminium rods spaced closer together around a 1/2 inch apart. ill see down the road I dont want the grill to make the coupe look tall maybe horizontal bars are better ill check things out 1st. thanks

Latest posts

Back