Silicone??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellwood59

Is there a silicone ( in a tube) tough enough to hold a mid-fifties hubcap (with no clips on the back) to a beauty ring at highway speeds?

I think Gastrick mentioned he just did something like this on his Merc to put Caddy caps on it. If he sees this he might tell you what he used.

There is a product I know about that is super grippy , it is 3M 5200 sealant. I have used it for years and if you mount something down with it a week later it will take half the other part with it if you try to separate the two. I mounted some cleats on my boat one time and then decided to move them to a different spot, when I pulled the cleat off a lot of fiberglass came with it. That stuff is very tenacious.

Don

I also wonder how the panel adhesive they make for putting fenders and stuff on would work? That stuff holds anything in place. We used it to put the floor down in my Son's rpu, and the rivets were not really needed, but ended up just being cosmetic.

Don

Thanks Don,
That 3M 5200 sounds like the deal. I'd hate to
lose my '58 Caddy caps on the Pa. turnpike, they'd
be trashed. The beauty rings fit nice on the late
model wheels so, we should be good to go.

use the 3M panel adhesive. scuff the inside of the cap and the outside of the ring with 60 grit. clean all the oils and such off it. you will have a 5 min work time to get it centered. once cured you will NEVER get them apart. it will tear the metal before it will seperate. :D

The only concern I might have is if the trim rings will grip the wheel tight enough to keep the heavy Caddy hubcaps on. All of the trim rings I have ever had pull of pretty easily, but I guess you could bend the tangs to bite in more.

Don

The cap is actually glued to the trim ring which is still removable, so if he gets a flat he just pops the whole assembly off like you would a regular cap.

I know you were thinking the cap is glued permanently to the rim, but that isn't the case. :)

Don

I gotta friend who used Gunthers Liquid Nails to do the same thing.Oh yeah the cap stayed on ,but a couple dried just a hair off center and his ride looked like a circus go- cart going down the road. Im pretty sure theres still some tire shops or hubcap stores that'll install clips onto your rims .I remember some guys being able to still get that done out in Cali. I'd call around your part of town ta see if any shops can handle that type of job.

Latest posts

Back