Anyone running modern headlights in antique/original headlight buckets?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fromhellclothing666

I’m using my original headlight buckets on my 25 studebaker build but was thinking of using bright ass modern type round headlights and just putting them inside the buckets...anyone have any pics of their headlight setup doing the same thing?

Attachments

• BED32D41-CD40-425F-B40C-E447A0CF6C30.jpg
    BED32D41-CD40-425F-B40C-E447A0CF6C30.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 20
  • A871CC3F-AC6C-423B-BE1D-FDD148B9806F.jpg
    A871CC3F-AC6C-423B-BE1D-FDD148B9806F.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 20
Easier and looks better to make retainer and use a modern car or motor cycle bulb and keep the original lenses

maxresdefault.jpg

71In%2B7SOjJL._SY463_.jpg

I think you'll be forced to fab some up....

Then you can adapt the late model bulb to the bucket you make... Wonder if the old metal mixing bowl trick would help you here... [S Any other thoughts guys?

I was suggesting a bucket within a bucket...

Thanks for the info guys! My headlights are in great shape and complete,, actually in perfect working order I just know the 6v 1920’s style bulbs aren’t going to cut it

that way you'd use the original outside then fab a bucket to go inside sandwiching the lens between the two... maybe I'm way off base... [S

Good ideas. I have some '20s Dodge lights and another pair of I don't know whats that size. They were too good a deal to pass on, but I have no idea what do to with them.

cool

You can use your original reflectors or make some new ones, then use this kit -

30 bucks and it literally takes 5 minutes to install. Plus it keeps the headlights looking original from the outside. Done.

yore right on the button BED, 3O bucks, heck, that is almost to cheap to try and make the stuff yore-self. by the time you purchase halogen light bulbs and the parts to assemble it AND the time, this is almost a plug & play system:D

thanks for the link.

Later :cool:

The Speedway kit looks like the hot ticket setup.

I'm far from a Speedway promoter, but this one works and works well.

The other upside - it uses a common headlight bulb available at any auto parts store. Even sealed beams have to be ordered anymore, so it's nice to have something that will get you right back on the road.

I too wanted to run some modern bulbs with the stock look. I thought about the speedway conversion kit, but by the time I pay the exchange, duty, shipping, it's a hassle getting stuff into Canada sometimes.....

So, I did it myself. I ground off the original bulb holder on the back of the reflector, and then opened the hole up just a tad until the halogen bulb fit. Then I took some "bulk spring", tightened one end until I had a nice bolt hole size, and cut it off at just the right length to hold the bulb tight in between the bucket and the reflector. The spring bolts into the bucket as seen the picture. It did take me a couple of hours of screwing around, but that seems to be the one thing I'm good at.....:)

Attachments

• thumbnail_20180204_101902_resized.jpg
    thumbnail_20180204_101902_resized.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 22
  • thumbnail_20180204_101911_resized.jpg
    thumbnail_20180204_101911_resized.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back