48 Desoto 4dr

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what we started with last July.......a 22,000 mile original with a seized engine.

08.jpg

The day before the "un-kindest cut".....

IMG_0447.jpg

Damn, what have I done ?

IMG_0460.jpg

You'll be a lot happier with that crossmember and suspension out of there. My son has a 49 Plymouth with the original suspension, dropped uprights, disc brakes and a power rack and pinion. The crossmember interfered with the installation of a Chevy small block and radiator. I could have put a sub frame in it for a lot less money and it would have worked out better. We got the Plymouth with all the parts mentioned and that's why we used them. Good luck on your project. The car looks really solid. What are your plans for it?

This was OEM:

IMG_0448.jpg

This is what it has now (thanks to Jim Weimer Rod Shop) and we did it in my garage:

IMG_0537.jpg

Too bad that it will all be covered in low gloss flat black as well as the engine...
Then again, I've seen enought chrome & billet in this hobby to last a life time.

48 DeSoto 4dr

Okay, I need some help on the DeSoto. The issue is an interferance between the horizontal oil filter arrangement of a 440 MoPar and the input shaft of a power rack & pinion. What I need is (either) an oil pump end plate that allows a vertical filter or an end plate with fittings that allows for a remote filter. A screw on adaptor for a remote filter will not work.

We installed a Jim Weimer subframe built around a Mustang II architecture. I can move the 440 back about six inches with the number 4 & 8 cylinders under the dash. This is not acceptable. The end plate on the oil pump (which is external) needs to change. Any ideas?

Awesome!!

Orphan,
Like Gastrick said... nice install. even though it all gets covered up... the handling difference is nite & day. I love MII! Like goin' from a tank to a slot car! Kool!!!

BoB

Thanks for the tip. I purchased their remote oil filter unit that removes the oil filter mounting on the bottom plate of the oil pump. The problem I'm left with is the AN fittings that it takes. I had wanted to use (either) 5/16's or 3/8's line to the remote filter on top of the engine like the (OLD) Hemi's used to have. The AN fittings are #12 and it looks like they seal with an "O" ring on the plate. I would prefer to install a brass 90 degree fitting and run my lines upward from them. I don't want to use braided lines. Any suggestions?

It looks like the plates are tapped for pipe thread, then adapted to AN. You can adapt the pipe thread to inverted flare and use hard line. Or you could use hose barbs and use an oil compatable hose rated for the oil pressure, which is low (like 80psi, max.). Take the plate(s) in to a good auto parts store or a hydraulic hose place and I'm sure you can come up with something.

That is a cool desoto. Im diggin it. Desoto's are different. I have a '48 dodge d24 sedan (with the rear suicides). I will get around to that after the '46 dodge pu is nearing completion. Glad you are going with a 440 as well.

hey 4dr orphan, there is an old desoto down the street from me, it is apart but looks decent, and it is for sale, i will get some pics for you and see if he will part out, let me know what you need after i talk to him...

some desoto pics for you

hello 4dr orphan, i went to see the guy that has this desoto, its in fair shape, to bad he took it apart and did nothing to it, it has a small block chev in it, i would guess all the parts are there, but he does not want to part it out, and he wants 1500.00 for it, i have no idea on what its worth, but here are some pics.

Attachments

• DSCF0430.jpg
    DSCF0430.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0431.jpg
    DSCF0431.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0432.jpg
    DSCF0432.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0433.jpg
    DSCF0433.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF0434.jpg
    DSCF0434.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 19
48 desoto

Thanks P.R.
I must admit, it's reassuring to see (what appears to be) another solid (46-48) 4dr. His price is way more than what I can generate at this time. FWIW I wouldn't part it out either if it was mine to sell.

I'd love to get it but no way near $1,500. Many thanks for your time & effort.

Latest posts

Back