Model A extended cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing some diagnosing with my tuner today. Pretty sure the oil bypass plunger in the back of the block right by the oil filter shifted and beings that we have a high volume oil pump in there it was probably enough to keep the top end okay but it was not enough to feed the bottom end. I will pull that plug when I get the block all the way out of the car and see what that plunger looks like. I ordered a new one anyway

Did you pressurize the oiling system before the first start?

We primed the pump, I also cranked it with no ignition before actually starting. Same as I have done with small blocks. Not sure if that's correct or not. I've never had one do this lol. Also my first LS adventure

Wix, GM, K&N, Napa (Wix) are good. My dad talked to service at the GM dealer after he had a low oil pressure issue after replacing the oil pressure sending unit and the failed afm lifters. The cheaper brand filter he put on had failed, and what he was told was that some of the cheaper filters can fail and cause oil starvation to some parts of the engine. I don't recall which areas though or what they said fails in the filter. He put a GM filter on and it has been perfect since for several thousand kilometers. Wix is among the best so it should be fine.

Wix, GM, K&N, Napa (Wix) are good. My dad talked to service at the GM dealer after he had a low oil pressure issue after replacing the oil pressure sending unit and the failed afm lifters. The cheaper brand filter he put on had failed, and what he was told was that some of the cheaper filters can fail and cause oil starvation to some parts of the engine. I don't recall which areas though or what they said fails in the filter. He put a GM filter on and it has been perfect since for several thousand kilometers. Wix is among the best so it should be fine.

Yeah I'll finish getting the engine tore down tonight and out of the car. I'm going to check the oil bypass plunger. I'm also going to get the crank down to my tuner, he has one on the shelf that's already been machined. So I'm going to buy that from him and give him mine as a core. Then I'll get bearings and all that fun stuff. I'm going to have to have that rod checked out in size to make sure it didn't mess it up

Got my crank, also got the block dropped off at the machine shop to have cam bearings put in it and have it hot tanked. I was actually able to get a full set of factory rods from my tuner. He's been building these engines and selling them for swaps for a while so he had some good factory rods laying around. Don't know if I'll have bearings and stuff by this weekend or the block back but if I do I'm definitely going to try and start getting it put back together

Good to hear ya have a source for parts.
There's a lot of parts out there to be had.
You'll have it back together in no time.

Good to hear ya have a source for parts.
There's a lot of parts out there to be had.
You'll have it back together in no time.

Thanks bud, they're definitely is parts around you just got to know who to talk to lol. Hopefully I get it back together soon it's been a heck of a week. Right after I got this engine pulled out we had a pipe break in our basement and flood half the house. Could be worse could be homeless

You will never be homeless. You are too skilled and have a great work ethic. I'm amazed at your good attitude regarding these setbacks. The future is bright.

You will never be homeless. You are too skilled and have a great work ethic. I'm amazed at your good attitude regarding these setbacks. The future is bright.

Thanks my friend. Believe me there was choice words said when I figured the engine was blown up and when I found the water in the basement. But there's no sense ****ing and moaning about it. Take action get it figured out get it fixed.

Latest posts

Back