'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope again. I've got pics to prove it on page 1. :) My rear tires were centered in the wells when I got it. Keep in mind the Olds had coils in the back, not leafs - might make a little difference.

I did a little measuring and the rears are forward by about 1-3/4" the fronts are off by about 1-1/4" (very apprx. since the front clip is just kinda sittin on there). I photochopped the wheels back about 1-1/4" - looks right.

The second pic is directly to the side of the front wheel (un-PS'd and taken at the same timeas the previous pic) - makes it clear how the wheel sits.

Oh, and I made it a 2 door for fun.... don't quite look right though! [S :D

Thanks for the comments, all ya!

Attachments

• nsidewlsbk.jpg
    nsidewlsbk.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 159
  • sidefrt.jpg
    sidefrt.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 139
  • shorty.jpg
    shorty.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 160
Well, not much time lately for workin on rats - unless it rains. Got my body moved to where it needs to be. Other than that it's been workin on the house. Had another laptop crash too (mine), so we're sharing one (hers) - I don't get much time on it, so I haven't been post whoring as usual.

A few pics. The wheels sit just right - I like it now.

The paint stays as is Earthman! No worries.

Attachments

• out1.jpg
    out1.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 170
  • out2.jpg
    out2.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 162
  • out3.jpg
    out3.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 159
Yeah--That did the deal, didn't it... Lotsa work to move it??

Gonna be fun..

PA41

Yeah--That did the deal, didn't it... Lotsa work to move it??

Gonna be fun..

PA41

More work than I wanted it to be, but really not too bad. I had to cut a hole in the firewall, take out a bit of the frame behind the rear axle, and move the front mounts on the frame. That was the worst of it. The other mounts just needed new holes drilled. Actually got the body sitting better on the frame than before.

Gonna be awhile before I really get back too it. Ah-well.... ya'll know how it is....

Forgot to mention, the neighbors call it 'The Beast' when I move it cause I don't have any pipes on it. Made me smile.

I wasn't going to mess with it again until after we get back from Ak, but I'm thinking I might be able to put the chrome back on. ....and maybe the rear bumper.

.... and work on the front bumper mount.

....and... :D:D:D

looks good with the wheels centered. The beast is fitting for the shear size of the car. [cl

Awesome project!! I'd like to something similar to one of these fat-fendered cars someday. Would be a cool family cruiser.

Rookie question though - would it have been easier to just graft on the GM front clip and heavily notch the stock frame in the rear to drop it? Frame swap seems like a ton of work!!

Rookie question though - would it have been easier to just graft on the GM front clip and heavily notch the stock frame in the rear to drop it? Frame swap seems like a ton of work!!

Rookie answer: The biggest reason for the frame swap was to 'lay frame'. Otherwise I could easily have stayed with the original frame - IFS front/3-link rear suspension. The floor was rotten and needed replaced, I figured I'd get the drop I wanted, and I also got an updated suspension. I was prepared for what I was getting into though.

A frame swap is no easy way out, that's for sure. But, why go around a mountain when you can go over it? ....or.... Nothing's impossible to a fool. :D

Got some work done on my house so I rewarded myself by working on my car a bit. Got the old front frame horns cut down and placed where it needss to be. So, that means I could put the front bumper on - yea!

Attachments

• oldsmodelt.jpg
    oldsmodelt.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 141
that is a killer pic! you should have some posters made up or prints. Could make some side money at shows....

Latest posts

Back